support beam for C-26 keel on EZ Loader trailer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CraigWik

support beam for C-26 keel on EZ Loader trailer

Post by CraigWik »

I bought a C-26 in July and the trailer had been modified to add a couple of treated 6x6 beams to support the fixed part of the keel. The beam on the starboard side was screwed to the trailer when I bought it, and the starboard side of the fixed part of the keel rested on it. The one on the port side was loose (not even on the trailer) so I just left it at home. I had the boat in the water for several weeks, and when I pulled it out last week, I noticed that the keel wasn't over to starboard far enough to rest on this beam. I decided not to try to refloat the boat and move it over.

Does anyone else have beams like this on their trailer? It seems to me that the weight of the boat should be supported on the rollers, but I'm not sure why these beams were added.

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I have support beams on both my trailers, however they are bunk type. Personally I want the weight of the boat supported that way to avoid any possibility of oil canning or pressuring the hull. Or the swing keel itself.
Just my personal preference, may not make any difference.

Adding a vertical guide on either side of that beam for the keel does help lining up even tho the boat should center up by iteself. Esp on windy days..
monty

Post by monty »

My boat's weight is carried exclusively by the keel trunk. To keep the height down I laminated 2x4s on edge leaving a ~3" slot for the swing keel to fit in. The keel cable is then relaxed allowing that weight to be carried by a steel crossbeam covered with HDPE.
4 adjustable pads keep the boat upright. To unload and load I swing the rear pads(aft of max beam) to the side to allow the boat to be floated on and off. Usually works pretty good if wave conditions co-operate!
I didn't like the idea of supporting the boat on it's swing keel, although it appears that's the way it was trailered for 30 years before I bought it, with no apparent ill affects!
Although lots do it, I wouldn't support a boat on rollers without proper stringers built into the hull design.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490