79 mast post

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

79 mast post

Post by EmergencyExit »

Had another look at EE's mast post. You can see the foot of it by removing a small piece of corner trim to the lower left of the head door and one just in front of the keel trunk. Ugly and rotting. They just slapped some formica on the part of it that is in the head corner, but the part that terminates on the sole is completely unprotected from moisture. And its just scrap cheap wood too.

Good news is I removed the panel to the left of the head door, then cut a section of the pan out behind to see if the post terminated on the sole or was carried to the hull. Was able to slide a work light forward under the port banquettes and light the area, then peep thru the hole.

Looks like there is a glassed over box/plate under there that does carry the weight all the way down.

Pics later, off to the coast for the weekend, have to undo all my rushed un-hurricane prep work from last weekend.. :?
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Mine is in the same condition. I have removed the entire head enclosure except for the aft bulkhead. I'm not sure I will replace it. The head area may become part of the V berth. I will replace my compression post with 3" square aluminum tube plated top and bottom.
Clair
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Mine is in the same condition. I have removed the entire head enclosure except for the aft bulkhead. I'm not sure I will replace it. The head area may become part of the V berth. I will replace my compression post with 3" square aluminum tube plated top and bottom.
Clair
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Clair

Photos of any changes and or upgrades in this section would be nice to see. I've been thinking of changing my C.P. just not sure what to use or how to go about it.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O'day 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Couple pics of the area under the mast post/head are at:
http://svemergencyexit.net/ee/?p=190
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for the pics! I was trying to to picture this in my mind but now I know!

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

E.E.

Thanks for the photos, here is one of my photos from the same section I think. Through the larger access I was able to check out the wooden base block of my C.P. Damp but not saturated, next came the smaller access point, where I now use a hand pump to remove any collected water as needed. After all was good and dry I painted this section for a bit more moisture protection.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O'day 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Good pic! If your post is like mine its a pretty porous looking wood.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I looked at my 1979 C-26, the wood panel to the left of the head door had been cut to make for a wider entrance to the head, an my c-20 did not come with a head door. I got a door from sailbob2, but with the panel cut back I don't use the door. The wood post looks to be ok, but the lower one foot of the plywood wall is rotted out, so I got some work to do. Thanks for the post an photos for a quick fix I have a 3/4 x 14 x 8 inch hunk of plywood to fill the hole that rotted out
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

this would make a great "repair" tutorial..like the chainplate thread... I would like to go with the aluminum post if someone capable could work out all the measurements and details...

each time I tune my rig I wirry I will push the mast through the deck OR pull up the chainplates up through the deck !
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Updated EE's blog on the mast step (CLICK HERE)
with some pics of what's under the companion way and head sole...including this find under the sole in front of the head..

Also a pic of that mast post, not only is it poor wood, it is hollow..

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank you for the photos, that is a funny place to store a frying pan. Bet it has had little use. Looks to me that Chrysler put a lot of work into the mast support, an most of them are working yet after 30++++ years. So poor wood is not what I would call it
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

30+ years is a good life span for untreated, unpainted wood.
Down here where these old boats sat closed up in high temps and high wet humidity they don't seem to hold up as well tho..
This was the lower end..

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYCSAILOR wrote:this would make a great "repair" tutorial..like the chainplate thread... I would like to go with the aluminum post if someone capable could work out all the measurements and details...
I'll post some pics and the details on EE's blog later this weekend..