My short season

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
sauerleigh

My short season

Post by sauerleigh »

This past January I decided it was time for me to retire. My wife had retired three years ago and she seemed to be enjoying her new occupation, it was my turn. At 62 I was told to wait, wait for what, I'd worked for 42 years, never laid off or lost a job and I had never been off for more than 2 weeks in 42 years. I would sail more, fish more and finally have the time to work on the Maude Kay.

I retired from the Cleveland Clinic after 27 years the first week in June. The second week in July I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. September 18th I had surgery to remove the tumor, which by then had been termed "possibly cancer", well a week later the pathology had changed, it was cancer after all. On October 25th, I had a colon resection which removed all of my rectum and about 1 foot of my colon. With all the pathology analyzed now I am very happy to know that the cancer has all been removed and no traces were detected elsewhere.

I had put off having a colonoscopy for years which was a mistake, so my public service announcement to all the members of this forum is please, if you have never had a colonoscopy or have not one in a few years, make that appointment, it could very well save your life. I was very fortunate that even though I'd had a tumor for a while, it was contained well enough and had not spread to any major organs.

I will have much to be thankful for this coming Thanksgiving. By next season I will be all healed up and I will sail more, fish more and enjoy life every day.

I gave the Maude Kay to a young fellow who lives in the Columbus Ohio area. He owns a C22 and I feel he will do his best to finish the work I started. I'm certain he will have questions for the forum and I know you folks will do your best to answer them.

Sunny skies and fair winds to you all

Brian L Sauer
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Sauer

Great to hear you now have a clear bill of health and that Maude Kay has a good home. A colonoscopy has been part of my game plan for the last few years. I'm 57 at this point and my third colonoscopy is not too far off. I concur with your statement, all of our Chrysler brothers out there who have been putting a colonoscopy off... don't!!!! It's really not that big of a deal and it could very well save your life in the long run. Again good sailing Sauer and let us know when you are back on the water.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O-Day 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)[/b]
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ditto, its just a must do thing - (and anytime you want a smooth hospital visit do what I do..take an Executive Director Of Nursing with you 8) )
..the redhead had everybody hopping and taking care of this old pirate..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wow Bill!

Glad to hear things are better for you.
First, THANK YOU for a real life heads up. It's a well known issue that gets put off and off but to hear a friend having to deal with it most certainly helps open ones eyes.

Keep your sails full and your heart fuller!
Scott
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Brian
Glad to hear of the clean bill of health. My last colonoscopy they found and removed some pollups. I always look at a colonoscopy as a nice afternoon nap with juice and crackers when you wake up.

Don't forget about a PSA test. About 3 years ago my numbers started to rise then spike. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Two years ago this past September I had a prostatectomy.

In 2000 I had a cancerous lump removed from my neck. I get an annual check on that and its been ok for 13 years.

Good decision to retire at 62. I did that too. After doing the math I wouldn't make much more by staying in till 65. I've been loving every minute. Every day is Saturday!

Clair
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Brian...good to hear that your prognosis is good...I retired last year and I am starting external radiation treatments for my early stage prostate cancer this coming Monday. I am thankful that I have been having annual PSA tests and digital rectal exams. Colonoscopies regularly also since 50 yrs old.

To all men...do it and save your life.
Bill
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Brian,

Glad to hear you're on the mend! Always respected your skills here and thanks for sharing...

Had put off my colonoscopy for 5 yrs and finally had it done last month. FYI the prep is the worst part... and thanks to meds I recall double vision then waking up and it was over! Colon CA is one of the most treatable types especially when caught early... so all you boys lucky enough to hit 50... just do it!