It floats!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
rjbranch

It floats!

Post by rjbranch »

I launched my new to me Chrysler 22 yesterday and it all worked and the water stayed out. Kind of thought the water would stay out. It kept in over a foot of water when I opened it up. It has set derelect for 3 years. But the 7.5 merc fired right up. Mast work this week and hopefully stepped next weekend if I can get the wasps out of the spar.

Bob Branch
Harsens Island, MI
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That great news. I can sure relate to adopting (or being adopted by) an old boat that sat alone for years ! Keep us posted !

Careful with those wasps, if they are related to the red ones we have in the south, they are painful !
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Lucky you ! mine will touch water in june !
I wish you fair wind !
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Glad to hear that there's more water outside than in!! :D
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
rjbranch

and now it begins

Post by rjbranch »

Thanks everyone. Now begins the fun stuff... replacing the electrical system. :cry: I've restored enough old boats over the years to know it isn't even worth trying to use whats there, just cut it all away, throw it out, and begin with a clean slate. I did the electrical panel over the winter. Mounted it today. Since my boat is mored behind my house (one advantage of living on an island) I only need a single battery system. Mounted the vhf and got the mount for the gps/map/depthfinder/knotmeter. I'll just do it all with one instrument rather than a bunch. I've used garmin, lorance, and Eagle over the last 3 years in various applications and am using the Eagle on the boat. Everything in one nice 4 X 5 inch screen.

I have a schaeffer roller furler and a new main and 120% full hoist genoa. I know, its an odd sail. It was developed for me orignally for a Catalina National Championship by Watts sails back in the late 70's and has just become a staple of every boat I have sailed since. It has the drive of a 150, but doesn't overpower the boat like a 130 when the wind comes on. It creates no more heal than a working jib and alot more drive in rough water. On most boats I have sailed I'm able to carry it under a double reefed main into the mid 30 knot apparent range. I won't be sailing this boat in anything more than that. I gave up racing 17 years ago and now all my sailing days are sunny, mid 70's to mid 80's with winds between 5 and 20 knots. Weather just seems to have gotten better and better over the last 40 years of sailing. Must be global warming. Couldn't be me. :roll:

One issue I have, the rudder does not go down particularly easily. I rerigged it with new line, put white grease on both sides of the rudder where the cheeks cover it and was careful not to over tighten the nut. Moved ok out of the water but the blade's tendency to float up seems to overcome the mechanical advantage of the mechanism. I thought it being wet for a while might help, but it seems like I'll have to push it down with a boat hook until the last 5 inches on line and then can pull it down and lock it solidly. Will this improve with time or do I just need to still back off another half turn with the nut? Is the hole in the pivot for the cotter pin elongated to allow another half turn off the nut and still pass thru? I didn't check before I launched.

Oh, filled the inside of the spar with wasp killer tonight. Can says it shoots 20 ft so I blew half the can in from the bottom and half from the top. A few staggered to the bottom opening as they died. should be able to work on it this weekend. I have done new airfoiled spreaders, new halyards, and need to mount a new windex and run new wires up the spar (I hate that job) before I can step. Probably one eveing next week. OH, and the roller furler. Anyone done a Schaeffer? Am I better rigging it before I step or after?

Bob
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

On the rudder part - I am really tempted to add a piece of shock cord to the rudder of the C26 to provide some "down" tension and balance the tendency to float to the up position. But that doesn't seem like it would last in the water. If we decide to dry berth it at the club we joined, I will do that.

Wonder how a stainless spring would work ? Any ideas ?