Stanchion Eye Removal Advice...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zac Penn

Stanchion Eye Removal Advice...

Post by Zac Penn »

I have a bent stanchion that needs to be replaced and I do not see any mechanical fastener holding the eye onto the post...

I haven't tried anything yet because I didn't want to break the eye.

Also any ideas on how to remove the end fitting, just before the turnbuckle, on my lifeline?

My lines have stretched and the turnbuckle is already maxed out. I need to shorten the lines and reattach the end fittings.

Thanks for the help. You guys are the best!!!!!
Zac
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

The more I think about it the more I just want to replace the lifelines with 1/4" grey Amsteel and not worry about crimping new lines. So now I just need to know how to remove the stanchion eye and get started on that.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hoping somebody knows the answer Zac!

I have one that's bent also
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

I ended up cutting the tube of the stanchion about 3" from the top and clamped it in my vice. Well tapping it, twisting, twisting and tapping, heating twisting and tapping, etc... none of that worked and eventually the eye just snapped. So I have to buy another one now. However if someone knows how to properly remove these bad boys please let us know.

Zac
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Doh!

Thanks for sharing that.

:roll:
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The cast metal eyes were probably pressed in by machine. That is my guess.
The end fittings on the life lines look as though they are swaged fittings. If that is the case they are not removable. I wouldn't reuse the coated cable anyway...there is no sure way to inspect it for broken strands. I am replacing my life lines with the Suncor Quick Attach Lifeline kit. No specialized tools required, ie. swaging press etc.
Bill
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

Thanks Bill. That is what it looks like to me because there is a dent on the stanchion where it looks like the eye bowed out the tube. I just hope I can find a secure eye that isn't going to require a press to insert it into my new stanchion.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sounds like they are press fit into place - and tightly at that. I think EE's are held on with a set screw but they are a different type. Was going to check for you, but there's still a couple inches of sleet and ice all over her.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Doh!

Thanks for sharing that.

:roll: