Makeshift rudder C 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
BC

Makeshift rudder C 26

Post by BC »

Hello all, I've been here awhile absorbing c22 facts and data, for my 22 Some-Day.
And then an ad caught my attention early in the day --Chrysler sailboat for free! I called, made the contact was told the facts and story ( elderly parents divorcing and neither wants the boat ). However the boat needs to be moved very quickly. So I go to visit the owner and while I was expecting a 20 or 22ft, There she sat a 1978 C26! Two bags of sails, 1000$ worth of cushions, never been on the boat, a 15hp longshaft electric start, evenrude. I couldn't get the title signed fast enough.
The problem is she needs a rudder to for me to get her out of the marina and to my dock -50 miles away.

Question: anyone have a suggestion for a temp rudder? My c22 has a rudder that I may drop out extend the "pipe" to length and try that.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Bob

ps I bought a lotto ticket the same day but had a looser.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it!
br-549

Post by br-549 »

How socially acceptable, yet addictive this sailing thing can be.... especially when it is FREE..
We are so blessed
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Cool find !

I suppose I would be tempted to take lots of jerry cans and motor slowly and turn the outboard to steer personally, hopefully a lot of the trip is in a straight line anyway..not sure about sailing with a temp rudder due to forces..but if you are just missing the blade you could make a temp from wood and dive to bolt it on.

Sounds like you are missing the post and all tho ? In that case I'd homemake and rig a transom mount blade and tiller. Much different boat but the Coronado 15 had a piece of ply and an posthole digger handle for 2 years, LOL..
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Elderly parents divorcing, that is sad. But nether wants the boat that's good for you. I do not have a c-22, but have looked at some, I do have a C-20 an a c-26. The rudders are about the same, your c-22 rudder should work. But you will steal be one rudder short, getting the new boat home would be first in my list. You could motor all the way, but you don't know how it runs. May need a little T L C A sailboat with no rudder an no power would not be good. I wish you the best of luck
windnutlarry

C26 rudder

Post by windnutlarry »

I have a Idasailor foiled rudder on my C22, plus the original in the garage. If you can find temporary storage for a few days, they might be able to rush one to you. Also Foss Foam in FL made most of the fiberglass rudders back in the 70's and 80's, and still has the molds for replacements. They made a replacement centerboard for my Hunter22 a few years ago, and though expensive, it was perfect. Personally, I hate doing stuff twice. Good luck.