C-20 Mast Raising

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

C-20 Mast Raising

Post by OutnBacker »

So much for my theory on mechanical advantage on the C-20. That puppy be heavy! About popped a gourd trying to use a single pulley attached to the stemhead fitting to help get it started. No way, and my shoulder will never be the same for at least two days.

So, I did it the same way as on my C-22: Hook up the mainsheet tackle to the stemhead and up it went likkitysplit.

Nice to not need bridles. The upper shrouds remain taut enough to keep the mast from swaying to the sides by more than a few inches.

Point One in my criteria list for keeping a boat: Ease of setup. Done and done.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

"That Puppy Be Heavy" yes it is, that is why I use an A frame. I think I would look it that keel trunk be for lunching, don't need a hole in the boat.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I'm trying to minimize the fuss at the ramp, so no additional contraptury will be allowed. Once I hooked up the mainsheet tackle, it was nothing. I'm tellin ya, the rig is stout (well... you already know that).

I haven't actually gone around and compared mast thickness with other 20 footers, but I don't think this one is much lighter than the one on the C-22. Being stepped at the bridge deck instead of the house top, it's longer, too.

The trunk gives me pause, but it looks as if it might seep but not give way. A wait and see period at the ramp, atill secured to the trailer, will tell me if water is coming in. Plus, I have a sailing bud who is going to spend friday night aboard at the guest dock. He's the canary in the coal mine.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I always liked the two rear births for my teenage daughter an her boy friend. With one on each side I never had to wonder what was going on back there. Happy sailing you have a lot of fun sailing that boat. I have used "Bondo" to make repairs on rotten wood, a good quick fix for a small job.
windnutlarry

C20

Post by windnutlarry »

Sounds like you are making fine progress. I inquired into four or five C20's a couple years ago, and all but one had no cushions and varying degrees of rot below. One, based on the PO, had the swing keel winch pulled loose and had fractured the bulkhead. That area may warrant some extra attention. There is an epoxy product called GitRot that has received excellent reviews for repairing wood, and I have used Loctite for small jobs. The advantage of Loctite is that it comes in a syringe with a mixing tip like West SixTen, but only cost $5 at the local lumber yard. You can get either three or five minute setup times, and each comes with a spare tip so you can save part of it at least for a little while. SixTen is great stuff, and offers a much bigger tube for $23, with extra mixing tips available.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Chrysler20%26

It's no small area, actually. The only proper way to fix this is to radically go in there and rip it all out - to the glass outer lay-up. If the boat is as good as everyone says it is, it'll probably be mine for a long time, due to its otherwise decent condition. This one was left unattended for years at its wet moorings - with water lying in the bilge at least 8 to 10 inches deep. But, I can't really find any other issues that jump up and demand immedeate attention.

You make another salient point of observation regarding these great boats: A self-defeating sleeping arrangement for teens. [/b]
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Windnutlarry

Missing cushions and rotted soles go hand in hand. People toss them when they get funky and see the cost of replacements. I've seen GitRot, but this job is too big for that - and potentially too important. Major surgery is the only option. But like I said, it has to be a good boat otherwise, and at this early stage, it appears to be so. I have tools, know-how, and a shop for this winter.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

On the cushions idea,

One thing I am fond of doing is waiting until the end of season and getting lawn chair cushions from Walmart or Kmart They go on sale cheap and on SAIL boats even better!

Most of our boats have the darker brown flavored cushions from the 70's. Some of the brightly colored cushions might look a bit much in the store but they add a GREAT splash of color inside our boats!

They are cheap, last a few years depending on your care and can be replaced easily! For a day sailor these are fabulous! An overnighter might want better quality for the sleeping areas but hey, cheap is good sometimes!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Down here we have a chain of resale stores called "Dirt Cheap", sometimes its junk that was returned at retail stores, sometimes its brand name closeouts that the company picked up from a retailer.
Sometimes its fire or flood damaged goods.

The redhead once brought home a dozen long bench cushions for $12. They have served well as banquette and stern berth cushions for EE for years.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

No cushions for this boat until I need 'em. A tough vinyl covering or some indoor-outdoor carpet. Cushions on the cockpit seating only - if any. I have a ton-o-camping gear, with lots of duplications. The boat will be fully kitted out with stove, cat heater, mattress, etc.

But nothing happens until I like it.

Speaking of liking it: another plus are the optional opening ports with intact screens.