Single Handed Sailing - Help for Rigging

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
JKBedford

Single Handed Sailing - Help for Rigging

Post by JKBedford »

My '77 C26 has not yet been rigged for single handed sailing. I'd like to get some ideas/plans/specs from owners that have their lines rigged to the cockpit. What parts (blocks, organizers, cam cleats, etc.) did you use?

JKB
Barrie, Ontario
CANADA
Rich

Post by Rich »

That is a GREAT request! I too would like schematics, pictures, suggestions on how to better rig a Chrysler 22 for single handing. :)
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Wag4513

How my lines are setup

Post by Wag4513 »

I have a C-22 with the lines led aft. Here is a picture of my jib halyard led aft to the cockpit. The block at the bottom of the mast was installed backwards and I would use a turning block rather than a fairlead to turn the line to the rear. My Main halyard is rigged the same on the other side of the mast.

Also when single handing I read on the Rhodes 22 site a sugestion that you can use the lee side winch as a turning block for the jib sheet then you can trim and cleat the head sail from the windward side of the cockpit. I haven't tried it yet.

Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
Rich

Post by Rich »

Your 22 looks a little different than mine, what year is it? Is your rudder mounted on the stern? Thanks for the info on running lines aft.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Wag4513

Its a 1975

Post by Wag4513 »

The prior owner moved to rudder to the stern. He also replaced the hatches with lexan on metal frames. Also I don't have a pop top.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
mjt

Post by mjt »

Hey Jim -

Since other folks asked some qestions about your C-22 I thought I would join in. Is the traveller on your C-22 a brand name traveller or did you or the previous owner put it together? I have the original traveller on my C-22 and I'm not exactly thrilled with it, but the travellers made by Harken and other companies seem pretty pricey.

I noticed that there isn't a mast support on your stern. Do you have a support that snaps in place on the stern to hold the mast when it is down?

Is the motor mounted off-center on your boat? I'm wondering if this works well. At the present time my motor is centered on the stern and it can be a little difficult to raise/lower and otherwise operate the motor due to the mast support, tensioner and other things that have a tendency to get into the way.

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on these subjects.

Mike
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

Hi Mike:

Just like everyone I like talking about my baby.

I believe traveler is the original equipment traveler. The prior owner, Steve, had to move it from the cockpit location because it would interfere with the stern mounted tiller. Steve cut it down and made a bracket to hold it over the tiller. It is high enough that I can stand and steer. This is helpful when docking. The traveler car is not very smooth in its operation. I saw an interesting setup on the Rhodes 22 site. Its traveler mounts to the rear stays and is on a stainless steel rod. My main sheet is Harken.

I have a mast support. In the picture above just to the left and right of the traveler bracket you can see fittings the bracket sits in. I think it is just in the way when it is not being use to support the mast.

Since I have the rudder mounted in the center of the stern the motor is mounted on the port side. You can just see it in the picture with the white handle for the adjustable motor mount. It is alright, but it is a pain to pivot the motor up and reach behind it to lock it up.

If you have any other question just ask.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
JKBedford

Single Handed Sailing

Post by JKBedford »

Thanks Jim for the picture. This is what I had anticipated.

Best regards,
JKB
Barrie, Ontario
CANADA
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

though I woud bump this thread as I am considering installing a proper traveller for the main and then eventually tracks for the jib sheets ( but that is already in another thread)

So any traveller ideas ...raised abouve the cabin entrance OR as per this thread above the stern rail...
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

The prior owner of my boat built a bracket to hold the original traveler track up out of the way when he moved the rudder to the stern. I used the original track with its screw holes to add a harken traveler to my boat. I used bolts that fit in the slot that runs the length of the Harken track to secure it to the original track.

This works well and adds to my control of the mainsail. The picture above was taken before I added the Harken traveler. It mounts right on top and extends about 4" on each side.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas