LS-16 Restoration Questions and Pictures

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
nbealo

LS-16 Restoration Questions and Pictures

Post by nbealo »

Last week I bought a LS-16 and trailer for $200.
Naturally a sailboat this cheap will need A LOT of work so this is a forum for anyone with an LS-16 and has questions or can answer any of my questions.
I have many pictures and will take many along the way.
Fair winds,
Nick
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard Nick.
There has been a up turn in Day sailer folks on the fourm, and that's good.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!
We'd love to see some photos of your new boat! Sounds like you got a good deal!

Scott
kerryon

Post by kerryon »

Welcome Nick

Congrats on getting the ole gal. Sure she will provide some fun days ahead. I have restored 2 LS -13's which share a lot of similar traits. Feel free to ask away, happy to help.

Dave
nbealo

LS-16 pictures from summer 2014

Post by nbealo »

Mast step cracked and bad fiberglass work by previous owner

Bow with rotted/rusted fiberglass rub rail step? any suggestions for new rub rail to purchase?

After cleaning the cockpit area of all cushions and dirtyness. also missing the end of the rub rail cover on the aft section port side, can i get this anywhere?

Old Lone*Star logo still partly visible. Bow may need a little bit of cleaning up where winch has been rubbing :(

Port side boat on trailer that it came with. look about half way back to see some "bondo" i think that was added to smooth side.

Starboard side, you can see why the rub rail needs to be replaced, again any suggestions? a tree branch fell on the bow during the winter of 2013-2014.

Top of boat, im thinking small patch if i have to but main plan is to get some nice wood and cut it out to cover this ugly patch and possibly add strength to it. Suggestions?

A closer angle of the crushed bow section from the tree branch that fell on it, last person did a terrible patch job so i will have to get rid of that somehow.

Aft section previously named fortune cove 1. Again is there somewhere i can get another rub rail cover like the one on the right side?

Ok, here is the picture that sums up pretty much all of the gel coat on the topside of the boat, spiderweb cracks everywhere. I sanded this down as much as i could last summer but didn't get far so my plan i think is to paint and fill the cracks with the paint somehow. I normally dont think i would do this but considering the boat is only worth at very best in pristine condition, less than $1000 bucks, it isn't worth it to regelcoat.

Port side, just trying to show gel coat cracks up the edge. Before it was cleaned out.

Recently replaced floor pic from last owner. also both dagger boards work he also replaced those mechanics and made them work.

Alright it only took me 9 months but pictures are up. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and wanted because this is my first major boat repair.
Thanks for everything guys.
Nick
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Nick,
Thanks for sharing the photos!

Looks like a lot of fun there!

I'd make her sea worthy first and foremost!
Then I'd go sail her!! Then I would balance the other repairs with time on the water!

Just my two bits!

Scott
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Boy, this takes me back. This was my first boat. Very stable, very easy to sail.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
austinbillt

Re: LS-16 Restoration Questions and Pictures

Post by austinbillt »

The LS-16 looks just like the LS-13 (which I have) in terms of the rub rail. I have located a source for a pretty close replacement rub rail from a custom rubber extrusion company (ExactSeal in Indianapolis), and the preliminary price is $5/foot. However, the minimum order is 100 feet. I need 35 feet or so, and if we can get a third we can probably make this work.