hawse pipe for chrysler 22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Ryan

hawse pipe for chrysler 22

Post by Ryan »

Hello,
first post ever!
i am installing an anchor bow roller with pin for the anchor. i was thinking of installing a hawse pipe for the line and chain and feed it into the compartment in the bow forward of the vberth. I thought about attaching a piece of pvc pipe to the underside of the hawse pipe to feed line and chain into compartment. Any thoughts on placement of the hawse pipe or how to go about setting it up?
windnutlarry

Hawse pipe

Post by windnutlarry »

Visualize a 100' or so of dirty, wet anchor rode stuffed into a small compartment with no drain or air circulation, then let it ferment in the summer sun for a week or so. As my daughters would say.....EEEEEWWWW! Maybe the anchor and chain stored on the roller, and the line unshackled, coiled, and stored in a draining tub until dry, then in one of the stern lockers perhaps. I'm thinking about going with a smaller gas tank and keeping it in the gas locker. I like the idea of keeping the weight of the anchor and chain as far forward as possible though.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I have that very set up. 1-1/2 inch do Diane flex hose runs from a west marine haws pipe on the very starboard side down along the starboard wall of the berth into the v berth storage locker. I have the damn forth on a simple roller on the bow pulpit.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Matt & Star

Post by Matt & Star »

Hey Ryan
I was contemplating doing the same while looking over the boat during a break- the way I might do it is to fabricate a compartment to fit the dimensions out of Starboard or G10 and epoxy/glass, with a removable clear gasketed window facing aft for inspection and access. I'd like a small access hatch on the deck for cleaning as opposed to, or in conjunction with a hawse pipe, but haven't thought yet on how to join it to the compartment holding the chain- maybe a smallish 4" round hatch joined to the fabricated box with a section of hose?
I'd drill a 3/4" min. hole for a drain in the portside corner of the chainlocker, and run a drain tube to a seacock on the portside, accessible through the lower stowage area in the forward most port vberth. (through the oval liner cutout, to avoid having to contend with drilling through the liner).
A small 12V high pressure pump, which I want to install anyways, would be connected to a deck hose connection for using a short hose to spray off the chain or deck, and water would be drawn through the galley through hull, and pass through a strainer.

All conjecture, but this might be how I'd do it. It's a pretty cramped space on the foredeck to make it work, but I think with some ingenuity it may be doable in a proper manner. I've been focusing elsewhere, but did give this some thought.

Thoughts?

Matt
1980 Chrysler 22, "Free Ride", on the hard gettin' pretty.
Ryan

Re: Hawse pipe

Post by Ryan »

windnutlarry wrote:Visualize a 100' or so of dirty, wet anchor rode stuffed into a small compartment with no drain or air circulation, then let it ferment in the summer sun for a week or so. As my daughters would say.....EEEEEWWWW! Maybe the anchor and chain stored on the roller, and the line unshackled, coiled, and stored in a draining tub until dry, then in one of the stern lockers perhaps. I'm thinking about going with a smaller gas tank and keeping it in the gas locker. I like the idea of keeping the weight of the anchor and chain as far forward as possible though.
I thought about the smell too, still tossing ideas around, hooking up a shackle from chain to line in rough seas or high wind is not my idea of fun
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

NYCSAILOR wrote:I have that very set up. 1-1/2 inch do Diane flex hose runs from a west marine haws pipe on the very starboard side down along the starboard wall of the berth into the v berth storage locker. I have the damn forth on a simple roller on the bow pulpit.

any problems with smell like windnutlarry is saying?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Matt & Star wrote:Hey Ryan
I was contemplating doing the same while looking over the boat during a break- the way I might do it is to fabricate a compartment to fit the dimensions out of Starboard or G10 and epoxy/glass, with a removable clear gasketed window facing aft for inspection and access. I'd like a small access hatch on the deck for cleaning as opposed to, or in conjunction with a hawse pipe, but haven't thought yet on how to join it to the compartment holding the chain- maybe a smallish 4" round hatch joined to the fabricated box with a section of hose?
I'd drill a 3/4" min. hole for a drain in the portside corner of the chainlocker, and run a drain tube to a seacock on the portside, accessible through the lower stowage area in the forward most port vberth. (through the oval liner cutout, to avoid having to contend with drilling through the liner).
A small 12V high pressure pump, which I want to install anyways, would be connected to a deck hose connection for using a short hose to spray off the chain or deck, and water would be drawn through the galley through hull, and pass through a strainer.

All conjecture, but this might be how I'd do it. It's a pretty cramped space on the foredeck to make it work, but I think with some ingenuity it may be doable in a proper manner. I've been focusing elsewhere, but did give this some thought.

Thoughts?

Matt

not sure if i want to take up any more space inside, cramped enough as it is. Maybe keeping chain on bow pulpit along with anchor on a dedicated roller attached to the deck. Maybe some type of quick release shackle to hook line to anchor chain when i need to use it
goldenarrow

Post by goldenarrow »

If I understand correctly, this is currently how my boat is setup. The rope goes into the little section of the berth in the front.

I've only had the boat for a little bit, but I found it easy to use. I did just wrap the line around a couple cleats to dry so we didn't get much smell.

All that said however, I plan on moving mine to the back of the boat for easy access and better storage.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The 79 C26 has an anchor locker built in to the deck at the bow, but there's not a lot of room in there. So I've added a locker under the vberth - plans are to run a pipe from the existing locker to this one so long rodes can be stored. If i only need what fits in the stock locker I can cleat off that much, but if I ever need more I have a 'reserve'..

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

okay, maybe the anchor rode in the upper forward vberth compartment is not a good idea. Smell is one thing, but the wife complaining about it would be an even bigger problem. Maybe i will have to buy a bigger boat with an actual chain locker...LOL I like the idea of keeping it in the locker where the gas can goes, just have to wire the anchor shackle each time I want to use it