I want your old keel pin brackets!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want your old keel pin brackets!!

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey all,

I have been researching getting keel pin brackets and a supplier. I'm going a different route this time and am working directly with a friend of a very good friend.

In the past I have tried to approach local shops and eventually the idea was dropped for a variety of reasons.

Billy was kind enough to share a set of new ones with me for quite a while but eventually it was appropriate to return them.

SO . . . . .

If you have an old set of KEEL PIN brackets and are willing to donate them including shipping to 98208 zip code, I would love to get several sets.

This will allow me to provide samples and show what happens over time! Also provide any possible inconsistencies in the original sets.

If you by chance have a set and are willing to donate, either mention here or PM, email, or call me and I will provide my home mail address.

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Guster

Post by Guster »

I replaced my originals 2 years ago and hung on to them. But I tossed them out about a month ago as I couldn't think of a reason to keep them. :cry:

It was very clear that Chrysler didn't use a jig to locate the holes on the brackets. It looks as though they were drilled in place by hand. The hole pattern was sloppy and completely different from port to starboard. But they did match the holes on the fiberglass exactly. Hence whey I believe they were drilled in place. So this poses a problem in terms of making a standard set. I was planing on making 10 sets and selling them to those in need, but when I saw how bad the bolt pasterns were I didn't want to mess with it.

Let me know if you need any help with this project. Someplace I have drawings of the brackets I made.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, I am aware of the bolt holes not being consistent! LOL!

The biggest problem is the cost. Easy to get the work don but the price is outrageous! I'm hoping one day to find someone who can make them well, and charge a reasonable price. Make it affordable so I could stock a few sets. Just to help a fellow sailor out!

My most recent shop just bailed on me. Not sure why. Oh well. I'll just keep on looking for a source!

I also tossed my set. Dang.

Thanks!
Scott
Guster

Post by Guster »

Scott,

What do you consider reasonable $?

I'm in the mfg business and we do a lot of S/S work. I made my brackets and could make plenty more(preferably without holes). But even if I sold them at my cost they would not be inexpensive. Of course economy of scale is the key, if we needed 50 sets I could get the cost down significantly. But there wouldn't be much savings in running 4 or 5 sets vs 1.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Scott...

You can still use the ones I sent you and you sent back. They're probably still in your box! Have plenty of work to do on the 27 and my original C22 brackets are holding up fine. I have no desire to tackle another keel project until the 27 is done and the brackets start showing signs of failure. I left there inspection port off and it's the first thing I check when getting on board. Still bone dry :wink:

The bolt hole pattern I drilled on the new brackets didn't match up with the old pattern. I will probably glass in the old pattern on the keel trunk and drill new holes that match up with the new brackets. So untill I figure that all out and need to replace them your welcome to use them!

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Dan,
you have a PM here on the forum from me. Please read it, consider it and let me know.

Billy,
Your offer is heard and considered generous! My Delaware supplier just bailed on me so I really do not "NEED" them at the moment. However if I do find another source for manufacturing these silly things, I may be back!
Thank you again the first time and in advance if I need them again!!!!!

Biggest problem I'm finding is cost vs the extremely low volume. Folks just don't want to mess with what is effectively labor of love vs income.

. . . . . still searching . . . . .
'spose I could go to China . . . . . . oh, never mind . . . LOL!

. . . . . . now where's my guitar . . . .
Scott