Make my own galley for C22?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
br-549

Make my own galley for C22?

Post by br-549 »

Does anyone have any plans, dimensions and features for a galley? Ours does not have one with it. 'Thought it would be a good winter project.
We are so blessed
Guster

Post by Guster »

We put one in our C22. I don't have any plans to share. I would snap some photos but the boat is in winter storage right now.

This is from memory. We used an old cupboard (12" deep? X 36" wide?) that used to occupy the space above a refrigerator. It was mounted to the starboard seat in the same location as the optional slide out galley. The cupboard's front doors are flush with the inside of the seat, leaving a 4 to 6" space behind the cupboard and the seat back. We then mounted a counter top that bridges over that gap and buts up against the seat back. The cupboard height was trimmed so that the counter top's surface was flush with the shelf above the seat. We then mounted a small s/s bar sink on one side of the counter and a single burner propane camping type stove on the other. The small space behind the cupboard is good for stashing various items and we mounted a chunk of PCV pipe that holds the propane bottle there. We installed a thru hull for the sink drain just off center of the boat slight aft of where the keel winch is. Water for the sink is pulled from another thru hull mounted in the locker under the aft dinette seat. We use a 12v pump and two water filters. If we want potable water installing a tank in that locker would be easy.

That is it. Nothing fancy. If we were to do it all again we wouldn't. The amount of overnights we do compared to day sailing doesn't justify giving up that space. We are on the third faucet because of someone loosing footing and grabbing for it. Having the thru hull for the drain has been nice though, for cleaning up or just bailing any water out of the inside of the boat. I think I'm going to remove the galley this spring and leave in the plumbing. Then if we do a little "Cruising" with it I can throw it back in.

Good luck. Working on these boat is half the fun!

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Compac 23's do an interesting thing with slide out galleys. Basically a flat board on each side, one for stove one for sink. They slide in and out of the area behind the settees.

A pic with them stored is here
http://sailingtexas.com/201401/scompac23133.html

and deployed is here
http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scompac23128.html
br-549

Post by br-549 »

I like the ideas to make it simple and create more utility that what was stock. I will noodle on that for a while.
We are so blessed
Guster

Post by Guster »

I have always liked the look of the compac boats. I have never seen their slide out galley, but it looks like a nice set up.
1976 C-22
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Someone on the forum posted some dimensions and I built my galley based on those. I scored a brass galley pump at Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine and plumbed it via a flexible hose to a 13 gallon collapsible water bladder stored under the cockpit. It works great and holds all the water I need for a week's cruising. The galley slides back under the starboard cockpit locker as original.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
Guster

Post by Guster »

That looks amazing! Well done!
1976 C-22
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Thanks! I thought it turned out nice.
The white hose you see is a camper water hose with a quick disconnect that hooks to the bladder tank. The galley can slide all the way back in the starboard locker without disconnecting the hose. The bronze galley pump folds down inside the galley so that it will slide past the VHF and stereo.

The only downside is that the sink will overflow the little drain cup Chrysler installed if you let the water out too quickly. I plan on renovating that system when I get motivated. I have a 1-1/4" lavatory drain that drops water into that little drain cup, but you have to have the galley perfectly positioned. I need to rework that so that the drain fits very close to a new larger drain cup with a bigger hose on it. That will take care of the spills.

The sink is a steamer pan from a restaurant supply store. I cut a hole in it to fit a bar sink drain from Home Depot.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

br-549

Post by br-549 »

What are you using for a slide? I was thinking that recess in the seat was for a wheel guide. Looks good. Thanks for the inspiration.
We are so blessed
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I used a 1/4 x 20 stainless bolt connecting a piece of HDPE material to the aluminum angle you can see in the picture. The HDPE plastic is very slippery and it is cut to fit inside that track. There is one on each end of the galley. You can also see two of the four black HDPE slides that are screwed to the bottom of the galley.
I use the HDPE for all kinds of stuff. It's expensive if you have to buy it, but I get 30 pound pieces from a local commercial door and hardware supplier. It is used for toilet partitions in restaurants, and most of the time they will have a scrap piece or a piece that has been damaged or drilled in the wrong place. It machines easily on woodworking equipment. I also used it to replace the wood that holds the companionway hatch and lots of other things on the boat.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN