Sealing banquette storage ?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NYCSAILOR

Sealing banquette storage ?

Post by NYCSAILOR »

The main storage under the banquette seating on both sides gets wet and is somehow open to the bilge...... I have had to store items in water tight plastic boxes.....but now I will be putting the batteries in there, if they will fit...as part of my re wire project .... Anyone seal these off for the bilge ? If so how, Is there a reason they are open to the bilge... I suppose I will have to keep some drainage in case water leaks in...maybe a hose with one way valve? Going on a big upgrade project this spring...finally...not getting any younger...come hell or high water...maybe both.... Determined to make this the boat I always wanted and imagined her to be......C26. Fixed keel...

Btw, anyone in the eastern li sound or ri. area. . Thinking of cruising out to block island or maybe Newport this season....anyone have experience?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, big project sounds cool ! On my 79 swing keel the banquette storage is sealed off at the sole, so might be a fixed keel thing ? The hull under the banquette, the front of the banquettes, and the sole meet at the same points.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I seem to get bilge water coming into the storage are from forward....of both sides..... I might look to build a dam up. There or a covered channel for the water to flow along the very bottom.....also don't like that the fuel locker gets flooded from the cockpit drains... Need to install a hose or some way to stop that
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYC, I think I understand better now.

And if I remember right (iffy-er every day...) On the swing keel the area under the banquettes are open to the 'bilge' area under the head and all the way to the area under the ice chest storage.

The bulkhead under the vberth is all that stops it from being open all the way to the bow. I think Windward added bulkheads under the banquettes to make a battery box.

There's a pic I took from under the port banquette looking forward at
http://svemergencyexit.net/ee/?p=190

look for the one with the skillet in the pic

The only 'reason' I can think of is it was the cheapest way to make these boats. Basically as few bulkheads as needed. A open hull with an interior pan dropped in it and atop dropped on that as simply as possible..

Well now I have another thing to think about doing this summer, lol...