Chrysler 22 in the open ocean.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
choyado

Chrysler 22 in the open ocean.

Post by choyado »

I've been wanting to do this for some time. I took the whole family on memorial day weekend for a 3 day sailing trip around Catalina island. We got a late start friday and had to make the crossing in 15knot winds with 3 foot wind waves and 4 foot swell. We were close hauled and had to motor sail to make good time. We were taking constant spray in the face and I was drenched by the time we got there. The wife and the youngest boy got sick but we made it. The rest of the trip was amazing. We made the whole trip along side my brothers Beneteau 323. The Chrysler 22 handled everything with ease.

https://plus.google.com/117600700115846 ... d?authkey=
Jeremiah
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Great pictures!
Scott
br-549

Post by br-549 »

Sorry - we cannot view the pictures. Thanks for sharing when able!
We are so blessed
choyado

Post by choyado »

Jeremiah
Guster

Post by Guster »

Great photos!

Do you have any shots of the interior? I have been curious to see what it looks like on a fixed keel.

You must have some sort of hard point inside for lifting the boat? Neat way to do it.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
choyado

Post by choyado »

As far as I can tell the interior is identical except for the absence of the winch for the keel cable. It still has the spot for the keel pin but it also has an additional 4 bolts that go through the fixed keel. I made some brackets that attach to the rearmost set of 2 bolts and I hoist it from those. It's much easier than dealing with slings and a spreader.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11760070 ... 5846527769

https://plus.google.com/photos/11760070 ... 5846527769
Jeremiah
br-549

Post by br-549 »

Very cool indeed. Nice family trip. We don't have "fish" like that in Lake Michigan...very neat to see dolphins. ..... flying carp is the closest thing and at bay in the Mississippi/Chicago rivers.
We are so blessed
Guster

Post by Guster »

[quote="choyado"]As far as I can tell the interior is identical except for the absence of the winch for the keel cable. It still has the spot for the keel pin but it also has an additional 4 bolts that go through the fixed keel. I made some brackets that attach to the rearmost set of 2 bolts and I hoist it from those. It's much easier than dealing with slings and a spreader.

That is a bummer about the keel trunk still being there. The boat would feel much bigger without it.

I like what you did with the lift. Dealing with slings is a pain, your solution looks easier than trailer launching a swing keel 22.

Did all 4 of you sleep on the boat?

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
choyado

Post by choyado »

Yeah 4 of us slept in the Chrysler and the other in my brothers Benateau. I don't have any cushions for the port side seat or all 5 of us could sleep in it.
Jeremiah