Repair issues on my C-22: backstay and rudder

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ChrisC

Repair issues on my C-22: backstay and rudder

Post by ChrisC »

Hi all. I'm trying to get my boat ready for some late season sailing (work and travel have delayed me), and have two major issues.

Back stay: The back stay appears to be too long, and the guy I bought the boat from (and apparently the owner before him) had the split stay adjusted to length by tying them together with rope as a tensions/adjuster. Here's a pic (though not a great one):

Last fall when I took the mast down, all this came unraveled, of course. I could do the same again I guess; however, there are other issues, such as the small triangle and motor access. Those with a larger triangle, is the motor access pretty easy? It's fairly difficult on this boat (though a handle extension would help).

One of the rear stay mounts is also coming up, though still feels quite solid. I know this is a problem on C-22s, but the extreme angle of the port rear stray probably hasn't help (?). Thoughts?

What's the best solution: replacing the back stay, or getting a real tension/adjuster that could be used to help tune the boat, like this:

Does anybody do this? Does it make sense?

Question: when raising the mast, how much tension do you release in the back stay to be able to attach the forestay?

Rudder: there some cracking and damage, and there's a bite taken out, probably from the motor. I'm thinking of using marine Tex to repair the damage area, and then fiber glassing around the edge where the seam is cracking. Does this make sense or is there a better alternative? Are Marine Tex and fiberglass compatible with rudder material?

My goal at this point is to get a few weeks of sailing in before October. I can undertake more extensive repairs over the off season.

Thanks,
Chris
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Chris,
the split back stay is meant to be an adjustable backstay. You should have received the parts for that with the boat. Looks like the previous owner did not have them either this the rope tied to the split.

Go to our documents page in my signature or just click here:
http://www.captainscottsailing.com/php/ ... ocList.php

Scroll down to the C22 section. You will see the second document listed describes all the parts necessary and the 3rd document provides drawings of how to rig it per factory specs!

It is a very simple and easy system to rig.
As far as raising the mast I ALWAYS completely loosen the back stay adjuster and readjust as necessary sailing. IE pull it tighter when beating to wind and loosen on down wind runs!

Scott
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

OK, thanks for that. That may solve at least one problem. I'll be happy to get the right equipment on there.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

ChrisC, I had that backstay adjuster on my Cal21. Very Handy.