Man O War sail

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jrophoff

Man O War sail

Post by jrophoff »

Hello I am getting a Man O War Sailboat, but it has no sail.

Does anyone know the dimensions, or know of any other sails I can use on it?

I have looked around and it seems as the Man O War sails are hard to come by.

Thanks!
jrophoff

Post by jrophoff »

I pulled out the mast and boom and set them up today. I noticed that I don't have a yoke on the end of the boom where it attaches to the mast. Anyone have a picture of that so that I can see what I am missing?

Thanks.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome !
There's a pic of the U end of the boom in the manual on page 4 - browse to the main page at www.chryslersailors.com

then choose Documentation, then scroll down to 'C15_Man-O-War /ManOWar.pdf'

I only see the sail area listed as 85sf at

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4861

A sunfish is about 75sf but different shape

so if no one chimes in specifically I'd just rig the boom and mast and get the measuring tape out and see how big the triangle of the sail would be..

Secondwindsails.com will let you search by dimensions for used sails.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

AS EE said,
you might do better just measuring what you have for standing rigging and get a sail that is close to fit!

As an example I purchased a brand new mizzen sail off a large ketch. Used it as a main for a C22! Worked perfectly as the sizes were almost a perfect match!

Saved a ton of money over a new sail and looked great!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:AS EE said,
you might do better just measuring what you have for standing rigging and get a sail that is close to fit!

As an example I purchased a brand new mizzen sail off a large ketch. Used it as a main for a C22! Worked perfectly as the sizes were almost a perfect match!

Saved a ton of money over a new sail and looked great!

Scott
Sailing with the wrong sail beats not sailing with the right sail !!

If you raise the main on our Compac23, its got a Chrysler C20 emblem on it, lol. The CP23 main was rotten along the foot bolt rope, and I got the C20 one for about $80. A bit small, but will catch wind until I save up for a new one !
jrophoff

Post by jrophoff »

The issue I have with the Man O War is that the sail slips over the mast with a sleeve. There is no sail track for the main sail.

So what I did today was haul the boat out to the local sail loft and brought with me a mainsail for a Rebel 16. We redesigned it to be about the same size. Instead of making a sleeve he is putting grommets in place so that I can use luff rings or small line to go around the mast. That allows me to hoist the sail instead. also making it easier to step the mast in heavy wind.

Since I am missing the yoke for the boom. I am taking some webbing, and will be pop riveting it to the boom making a loop. then I just slip it through the mast before I step it.

Any thoughts on that set up?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Look at sailboards!!

Scott
cbmarco

Post by cbmarco »

jrophoff wrote:The issue I have with the Man O War is that the sail slips over the mast with a sleeve. There is no sail track for the main sail.

So what I did today was haul the boat out to the local sail loft and brought with me a mainsail for a Rebel 16. We redesigned it to be about the same size. Instead of making a sleeve he is putting grommets in place so that I can use luff rings or small line to go around the mast. That allows me to hoist the sail instead. also making it easier to step the mast in heavy wind.

Since I am missing the yoke for the boom. I am taking some webbing, and will be pop riveting it to the boom making a loop. then I just slip it through the mast before I step it.

Any thoughts on that set up?
I'm interested in knowing how that modified sail works out for you. How many grommets are you putting in? I just shredded my sail last Friday. Cheapest Man O War sail I could find was over $500.