in water mast raising

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dan Myers

in water mast raising

Post by Dan Myers »

Anyone out there ever raised the mast while the boat is in the water??
Have run into this situation due to some emergency repairs. Have a relatives huge dock and good tie offs to trees .etc. Any advice??
Danchrysler26
mjt

Post by mjt »

Dan -

I had to lower/raise the mast on my boat a couple of years ago while the boat was on the water. There were just two of us and it presented no problem. We were pulled up next to a dock in the middle of nowhere and it was just the 2 of us.

If you have more hands available, it should be a piece of cake.

Basically, if you can have the stearn of your boat angled toward the dock, you can have one person holding the top of the mast while standing on the dock, one or two other people standing in the cockpit to help lift the mast up and make sure the bottom of the mast doesn't come out of/snap the mast step, and another person on the bow pulling on the line to raise the mast.

You have the mast raising bridles and instructions on how to use the boom and blocks, etc to raise the mast, right?

Mike
Dan Myers

mast is up

Post by Dan Myers »

Wasn't too bad except for a couple of large boats that went by at crucial moments. Rigged up my own bridle system but basically the same method as in manual. One glitch is that the wind vane is crooked. oh well.
Thanks Dan
bernina27

Glad yours went better than mine

Post by bernina27 »

My boss came to help me raise the mast after I got my new stainless steel mast foot mounted. We had the jib halyard run through a cleat with a knot at the end. We couldn't figure out why the mast wouldn't go up any further....luckily our nextdoor boat neighbor saw it. We actually did it without the bridles or boom method. I won't do that again. Hopefully I won't have to anytime soon! Happy sailing!