New C22 Owner in Wisconsin

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
T.Bird

New C22 Owner in Wisconsin

Post by T.Bird »

Hello!

A buddy of mine and I just acquired a '76 C22 that we hope will take us from simply being two guys with just a little bit of small open boat sailing experience experience between us to being a couple of guys that might actually dare call ourselves sailors.

We had it in the water for the first time last weekend, when a knowledgeable friend of my buddy's was kind enough to go out with us and help us get it rigged and pointed in the right direction. So far we have discovered that we totally love it despite a few minor things that need some attention before it sees water again. As of now, the plan is to address those things quickly and get back out on it a few more times before the Wisconsin climate shuts us down for the winter. The winter will then be spent trying to really dial it in for some serious fun (and learning!) next summer.

I already have long list of questions, but I won't bother you all with those just yet. So far, diligent searching of this forum and the internet at large has proved to be very rewarding in that regard.

Excited for the journey ahead,
Tom
C22

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new to you and your bud, C22!

Feel free to fire away questions you do not find answers to.
It is likely SOMEONE here has experienced whatever issues you find!

Next time your helper rigs the boat with you, take your handy dandy phone and snap lots of detailed photos of how she is rigged! You never know when these photos will come in handy! Especially when ArmChair sailing and dreaming of upgrades! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome Aboard !
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Baraboo? Where are you sailing - Devil's Lake?
We used to live in Mazomanie and loved the area.

Congrats on the purchase. I also just bought a well worn C22. I'm glad to see I won't be the only one posting lots of questions.

Cheers,
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome Tom, I am located in Kenosha. All questions regarding the boat are welcome. Mine is also a 76...there is virtually no part of this boat I haven't taken apart, repaired or replaced.
Bill
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

MichiganBill - No sailing on Devil's Lake for us. Actually, the thought of that is pretty comical, as I'm sure you know! Where will we be sailing? Short answer: Anywhere we can. For example, next weekend we are planing to take it to Lake Castle Rock.

Good luck with your boat. I hope you ask all the dumb questions before I do! :wink: Kidding...

Speaking of dumb questions, I've already posted a few over in the Rigging Tips section.

Astrorad - If ever in the Kenosha area, we'd love to glean some in-person wisdom from you.

Tom
C22

Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard, T-Bird.
Wisconsin is a great location for a trailer sailor. Make sure your trailer is ready for use also, lots of great sailing is just a days drive from you.
Personally, my home waters are the St. Croix River between Afton MN and Stillwater MN, but have made road trips to Duluth for the tall ships and Door County for a couple weeks. Other places on my bucket list are, Apostle Islands NP, Lake Pepin, Lake Winnebago and Lake of the Woods to name the close by locations.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

Here are a few shots from the sea trails on Shagawa Lake in Ely, Minnesota. Only the tiller/rudder post proved to be problematic. I'm not very familiar with the sailboat market, but that seems like a pretty minor problem for a $2000 boat. A hugely successful and fun day!

C22

T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

...and after the installation of a new rudder post cap, a general refurbishing of the entire tiller/rudder assembly, and the installation of a new motor mount, plus a few other odds and ends, we got it in the water for the second time this weekend. This time on Castle Rock Lake in Wisconsin. About an hour north of home.

We put in on Friday evening and sailed for a few hours, chasing a sliver of a moon into a beautifully starlit night where we dropped anchor, ate, and got to spend the first night on the boat. We then got to spend a good portion of Saturday sailing before heading home. Not a bad weekend, and it ain't even over yet!

We hope to get out at least one more time before the boat freezes in place and we have to walk back to shore. :) LOTS to learn and the list of winter projects is rapidly growing. :) Can't wait!
C22

MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Great pics!
It's a nice looking boat - and appears to be a steal for $2,000.
I look forward to seeing more of your adventures.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Great shots and THANK YOU for sharing!
I love the shots of boats at anchor!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »