Off Season Projects

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Kenr74

Off Season Projects

Post by Kenr74 »

I am still holding out hope for one more sail, but in all likelihood, my season is over here in Michigan. In the off season I am replacing some rotten plywood in the cabin sole, and recovering it (farewell nasty brown carpet.) I also need to do some more work on my trailer as I am not happy with it yet. Another potential project is to try to work out some sort of stowable or foldable companionway steps. I have 4 kids on board, and we made it work this year, but it would be much easier if we had more open access to the rear berth area at night. Has anyone done any custom steps on your 26? What other projects are you working on?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Had same issue with EE; I just substituted small clevis pins with clips for the bolts/nuts where the top of the steps attached to the brackets. To keep the lower end from sliding forward I used small strips of teak to make a 'stop' in front of them.

Remove the clips and pins, pull the steps, and stow and go !
Kenr74

Removable Steps

Post by Kenr74 »

That sounds like a good method for making the steps removable. I was looking at foldaway steps I could build, or buy, and I just am not confident in their ability to hold up under the stresses of being used while under way. It is one thing to make a static step, and altogether different when you consider the loads that can be present when the boat is rolling from side to side. Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any interesting projects under way?
boaty

steps you can sto

Post by boaty »

Hello fello Michigan sailor. If space is what you are after, I wonder if a section of a ladder cut to fit would work for you. A section of ladder would have a thinner crossection and would there by take up less space while in use in position and would definitely take up less space when not in position. I use something like this on my small boat. I built a set of steps out of 2x4s, they are much more compact than the stock steps on my c26. The nice thing about the steps I built is that they are vary sturdy.
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Part of a ladder is a good idea. Right now I am framing out a "box" that will extend the rear berth right under where the ladder typically is. I plan to store my battery in here, and it will also serve as the bottom step for the companionway ladder. From there I will only need two steps up, which I will make foldable, or removable (haven't worked out all the details yet). When the top steps are out of the way, the bottom step will serve as a seat in the cabin. I was making fair progress, but the weather has me shut down for now. Thanks again for the input. Do you sail out of Lexington? That is usually where we launch from.
boaty

Post by boaty »

We like to sail out of Muskegon. But for the last two years we've been sailing on the inland lakes because we needed a new vhf. Witch by the way we got for Christmas!! We sail on Hardy pond most, but this last summer we hit Higgens lake(swimmers itch) and Hamlin lake north of Ludington.
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC