Power Ball Dreams!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Power Ball Dreams!

Post by CaptainScott »

Lets just say . . . . for giggles . . . .

You by chance win the power ball and suddenly money is no longer a problem for you . . . . .

Would you upgrade your boat?
If so, what size, and why?

Would you continue to sail or . . . . . go . . . to . . . . the DARK SIDE . . .

My bride and I talk and dream together regularly.
We've already agreed that sailing is our life style.
We've already agreed whatever boat we have we must be able to handle it ourselves! No crew necessary. Since I've already stipulated money is not an issue then maintaining the boat is not our problem but to be hired out! Wouldn't that be nice!

Given that,
We figure around 60' would be our max desired size. 50 + would do.
Roller furl on all sails either sloop or cutter rigged.
Obviously we'd need thrusters. Over sized for bow and stern.

Since I've captained boats 50-60 feet there are no issues jumping for our current 40.

We've been intimate with Beneteaus for a long time now ( Destiny ) and would certainly look at them first however given a money is no object attitude, we'd certainly look into other brands as the newest Bennies are not exactly to our tastes. I'm sure we could get over that though! LOL!

Another thought would be a large cat! Biggest I've skippered is 18' but I've sailed on a 62'er and it was NICE!

OK,
Where are you? What would be your boat be and why?

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Boat ? I'm buying an island .... with a big cannon to shoot at any approaching boats LOL..
boaty

Post by boaty »

I have to admit the idea of money not being an issue is hard to fathom. I've often said to my first mate (wife that is) that in being into sailing," I'm a poor guy playing a rich man's game". So my mind kind of goes blank when I start to think beyond a new set of sails, some new instruments, and a real mantis anchor. OK so lets see, a new Chevy four wheel drive one ton to pull my new Hake Seaward 32. A" big" pole barn.... I think I'm thinking small here. A lot of time off to " really " go sailing. The north channel, the thousand islands, Ial Royal, Green bay,the Florida keys, the Bahamas, the Caribbean. ?????
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

I would avoid upsizing and increasing for the sake of personal luxury due to my religious convictions. (Yes, I realize luxury is a very relative term, and one I constantly wrestle with). That said, if I were to come into a virtually unlimited amount of money, I would liquidate all I have, and move my family onto a boat. While I would prefer a monohull, I would likely get a catamaran for the sake of my young family that would appreciate a flatter ride. While I think we could easily fit onto a cat in the upper 30's, I would consider buying as large as we could safely handle, for the purpose of doing missions / relief work in different parts of the third world. I think it would be great to have a boat large enough to take supplies to areas struck by disasters, and or to have the facilities to host groups of people that were going to assist in disaster relief, or even charitable building projects, etc... Maybe not practical, but hey we're dreaming right?
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

There's a documentary about product design called "Objectified". My favorite line from it is to "love what you have". Yes - I bought a ticket too but replacing the boat did not pop into my mind. Perhaps I have soft spot for underdogs.