Considering an LS-16

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
crmitche

Considering an LS-16

Post by crmitche »

I'll be looking at a Lone Star 16 next week. From the photos on CL it looks like it could use a little love. Of course, what should one expect for a 40ish year old boat? What are some things I should watch out for particular to this model? Anything I should be concerned about with the bilgeboard mechanics?

Thanks
Craig
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, welcome aboard. Looks like none of the LS16 owners have wandered by yet. Don't know much about this model but have read some posts on the board about issues with the ply floor, and the gaskets/o rings on the bilge board setups.

About all I can suggest (if you haven't already) is search for forum for "bilge board" and use 'search for all terms' to narrow results down. You should find a few articles, and owners as well, perhaps you can email one of them, etc...
LoneStar16Sailor

Post by LoneStar16Sailor »

I have a 1969 in fair shape. The rigging and sails are in good shape, though I had to make a new starboard shroud and repair a cam cleat.

Mine sat out in the weather for years without a cover. The guy had left the stern drain plug open but leaves clogged it and it must have had some standing water in it.

There was some delamination of the fiberglass on the deck around where the mast mounting plate (mast step) is screwed on. The mast step was screwed into the plywood core of the deck with a couple of fairly standard looking wood screws. There was a slight bit of water damage to the plywood but it was still solid enough to remount the mast step. I sanded it, smeared liberal amounts of 3M 5200 marine caulk and reattached the mast step. I cut away some of the delaminated fiberglass and sealed the area well with 3M5200.

The swingboard levers are very stiff, but I have seen a photo of another LS 16 owners disassembled swing board assemblies and they are very simple attachments. The cast swing keel boards have a 2 inch square cast mounting point that fits into a square hole on the control levers. There are some very heavy duty nylon bushings and washers to allow movement. They look like the nylon plastic that does not require lubrication (self lubricating???). Mine were very stiff from having sat for a long time and I had to work them back and forth several times to loosen them up. I'd be reluctant to put any kind of lubricant on them until I could research what kind of lubricant to use that would not harm the nylon bushings.

Mine were definitely stiff and not loose like they were worn.

My hull has been painted by some one who used the wrong kind of paint and it is cracked all over. Mine will not be some fast sailing boat until the day I can sand it down and paint it properly.

But it looks like it will be fun to sail none the less.

I'm presently doing the repairs and hope to have it in the water in a few weeks.
LoneStar16Sailor

Post by LoneStar16Sailor »

I was impressed with the simplicity of the swing board arrangement: Simple direct connection, no cables to break and few moving parts. It hinges on a cast aluminum block that is bolted to the fiber glass of the gunwhales.
crmitche

Post by crmitche »

Thanks for the replies. I'll be seeing the boat in person in a few hours. The owner stated is does have a slight leak, but they've installed and automatic bilge pump. Going to keep an eye out for soft spots. Luckily I have a boat repair guy in the family.

Wish me luck.