I NEED STORIES TO READ SO I'LL START, Will you share too?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Good story Scott.

My first sailing experience came when I was 17. A friend of mine belonged to the Junior Yacht Club and asked me if I would like to go out on a sailboat. He didn't have to ask twice. When the day came, I was too excited to eat breakfast. That was a mistake. We drove to the Yacht Club and my friend introduced me to Capt. Dave Blood...no kidding, that was his name.
It turned out that we were about to take part in a race and I was to be crew along with another teen and Capt. Blood. My friend was crewing on another boat.
So Capt. Blood tells me that my friend told him I was an experienced hand...this was not so and I told him that I had never been on a sailboat or crewed in a race. Well he said it was too late to replace me, so he gave me a crash course on jib handling and off we went.
We sailed around getting positioned for the start and all was going well. Lake Michigan had 3 foot swells and a nice breeze. Finally the race started and in short order Mal de Mer struck me full force. Blood told me that every time we were tacking, I would have to jump to the new lee side so as not to soil his boat with vomit.
I didn't see land for the rest of the race...only the water on the lee side of the boat. Hauling the jib sheet and winching for trim as I was heaving my empty guts over the side. Needless to say, we didn't win the race and by the time we were motoring into the harbor, I was laying on the cockpit floor, totally exhausted.
My friend had to wait for a half hour to get his ride home, as my legs were too rubbery to work the clutch on my dad's Rambler. I was not invited again, but that one time planted a seed. I finally took a sailing class at the Yacht Club in 2009 and will get back out on Lake Michigan this summer, piloting my Chrysler C22, Wabi Sabi.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That's great Bill! Glad you were on Capt Bloods boat not mine! LOL!

Who's next?

Scott
Culver

Earliest Sailing Experience and Several More After

Post by Culver »

My earliest sailing experience was with my mom, older brother and younger sister on a little sail boat.

I do not know what king of sail boat it was because I was young (between 5-9 years).

I loved the way the wind felt on my face giving my cheeks a more red color than normal as my dad called me Rosey.

Gliding on the water was exhilarating.

I loved looking at the landscape.

We were on a lake in Illinois but not Lake Michigan.

We were all enjoying our time together.

My mom loved it so much that she kept us out a little bit too long as the sun began setting and we were getting very cold to the point of shivering.

It was this experience that inspired me to take sailing lessons when I was in high school.

Thanks sooo much mom!
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Wonderful memory for you Culver (Rosey)
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good story!
Thanks for sharing!

Scott