Backstay adjuster on C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ChrisC

Backstay adjuster on C-22

Post by ChrisC »

Hello again. I wrote about this backstay issue about a year ago, but never got the boat on the water. This year, though, I've rented a slip and have time to get it on the water, next week, I hope.

Here's my issue. I'm feeling pretty confused right this minute. The split rear stay apparently needs to be adjusted. The previous owners had several turns of rope wrapped around the backstays to provide tension. I've purchased a C.S. Johnson backstay adjuster that will do the trick much more nicely.

Here's the adjuster: Image

Here's my confusion and problem.

1. Where would I, could I attach the line to tension the adjuster. There is no place, though the pick up eyes on the back of the stern would do, I suppose. Did this originally attach to the aftstay chainplate? The document that refers to this is vague: http://captainscottsailing.com/Chrysler ... tStay2.pdf

2. Looking at photos of C-22s on this site and online, I have not been able to find any with backstay adjusters. So, what gives?

Is the backstay adjuster only optional? Given the way mine was tied up, I'm envisioning that there must be a fair amount of slack when the mast is raised, even though the length of the backstay cables are the regulation 5 feet.

I'd appreciate any input. I want to get the boat in the water within the next 5 days if possible, so I'm looking for a practical solution.

Thanks!!
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
Reality

Post by Reality »

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks. That's some help.

But the real question is where on the boat to fasten the line; what do I fasten it to? I'd rather not have to add hardware to the hull. Perhaps I can rig something to one of the aft chainplates, a la illustration 3.

I wonder what Chrysler's intention was?
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
Reality

Post by Reality »

my C22 has no adjuster and the original brochures show none. I'd guess you don't have the original mast or don't have the original stays so they're the wrong length. I'd find someone to make shorter cables for below the "Y" point.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

That's an interesting idea, and I have to say that it has never occurred to me. I suppose it could be possible. I will have to do some measuring.

I did find in the original brochure that the backstay adjuster was optional equipment, as it says in this document: http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/imag ... nual02.gif. I just noticed, in the photo on the same page it shows a boat with the adjuster. It was for the racing set up, maybe, or for those who wanted better sail control. Perhaps this was simply an adjustment the previous owner made to create a better sail shape.

I also discovered that the boom vang was optional; I don't have one of those.
Papax3

Post by Papax3 »

Back stay adjuster:

First, think of your sailboat as a kite, instead of just a boat... There are a million alternatives to adjusting your kite string, and that's half the (challenging) fun of it! Check out other boats online!

What about making your own slack adjuster, where you run the single-line back stay halyard between (horizontally) the top two pins (below), and the single bottom pin. Then use the bottom pin as a tensioner that applies pressure (upwards on diagram) with a screw (x). This would add (some) mild tension, and still be safe.

O O
-----------------------
O
X

Or.......
Take your two spreaders on the transom, and spread them out further?

Best idea was probably *Reality's: fix the bottom Y's - that let's you do it without taking down the mast: the front halyard won't let your mast collapse while your fixin the fix.

Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Here's a link to my setup.. hope it helps!

https://flic.kr/p/8uCR7i

Billy
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

That looks nice. Is that a boom vang you've put to use? I have a vang from my Laser 2 I think I may put to similar use.

Thanks for the photo!
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Basically yes. My boom vang is almost a match, both need replacing due to age! 😆

Billy