Side-stay help

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

Side-stay help

Post by Papax3 »

!!! All advice welcome !!!

My C-22 has... well, "not tight" side-stays. They're not completely loose mind you, but they should likely be a little tighter than they are.

Here's the problem: the owner before me buggered up and bent the adjustable clasps that tie the stays to the deck of the boat, likely from some really bad trailering/ mast raising experiences. The stays are notably made of stainless, and I do have a concern that correcting the bends may only create a potential for catastrophic failure, given that stainless can be brittle. I live in Arkansas, and there isn't a sole who does standing rigging work that I'm aware of.

The main problem, is simply just tightening them... I think it's possible, because though they are (a little) bent and boogered up, I don't know what DIY methods are available to apply the tension to the wire, that will allow me to adjust them without having too much pressure on them. In other words, I think, since they are bent, the best-case scenario would be to get most of the pressure off of them, so I can turn the nuts past the bent areas, then pin them back to their holdfasts. OH! and by the way, my C-22 is slipped at the dock/ not on a trailer.

What are some quick methods to apply straight pressure to the wire stay?

Thanx!
Bill Williams
Safety
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Reality

Post by Reality »

maybe a 1 ft hardwood 2x4 with a slit the same size as the cable cut into the length of one of the 2" side about a inch deep using a table saw. Have a strong buddy push down while you tighten and reconnect. Might work. I'd like to tighten mine and this was my thinking but haven't tried it.
Papax3

Post by Papax3 »

Reality,

Seems legit! I like the idea, especially if you can pinch the 2x4 onto your wire. Excellent idea... Then they can use body weight to easily add pressure.

Thanx!
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams