Install boom vang on a C 22?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ChrisC

Install boom vang on a C 22?

Post by ChrisC »

On the C 22s the book vang was optional equipment. My boat does not have one, nor a place on the boom to attach one. The ring at the bottom of he mast is present, so at least I can use that on one end.

Has anybody installed a boom vang on the C 22? Any tips? I don't think it should be difficult.

Every boat I have sailed--from dinghies up to 30-some footers--has had a boom vang, though I have never messed with it much. But I figure it's doing its job. I have yet to sail my C 22, only motored a bit in it. Does anybody sail a C 22 without a boom vang? Any thoughts on its necessity?

Thanks,
ChrisC
Last edited by ChrisC on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
Papax3

Dang that Vang!

Post by Papax3 »

Chris,

I saw a C-22 that had a boom-vang, and it made me wonder if my boat was missing something, because I'm exactly where you're at: a ring at the bottom of the mast...

Another "tell" is to look at the bottom-side of your boom. Mine is clean, but the C-22 with the boom-vang had attachment points on the bottom of his boom, where mine did not. My C22 only had 2 owners, and the first one bought it straight from the factory... seems like optional equipment.

When sailing my C22, I have enough time under my belt to feel like a boom-vang might be handy. With just the fiddle-block, I can't flatten my mainsail out much, and I've wondered if it'd help... (meh!.. not fast boats in the first place!). I'm leaving mine alone, for that reason.

ON THE OTHER HAND... I did hear of a C22 sailor who picked up an entire 1 mph when he sailed with his mainsail "loose-footed". THAT seems easy enough ;o)

Thanx!
Bill Williams
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Bill. On a fast/performance boat, a boom vang is required equipment. But many (all?) cruisers I've sailed have had them, as well. On cruisers, in my experience, however, they are rarely adjusted, pretty much just set and left to do their own thing. The vang is not not just a matter of efficiency or speed, in my mind, but also safety and boat handling. A billowy main in a stronger breeze is a bit worrisome and could be a control issue. Of course, you can let out the main sheet and spill some wind; on a broad reach or a run, not so easy.

Like yours, my boom has no fitting for a vang. The previous owner and the one before him apparently weren't bothered by the lack of it--actually, I don't know if they were or not; and I probably have to get the boat on the water to assess it.

I think sailing loose footed in a light wind is a useful trick. But it's not the light winds that concern me. :?
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I had a boom vang on Lady Jo II.

Since I never really raced I used the boom vang to keep the boom from lifting when broad reaching or running. In heavier air I could loosen it and let the sail twist and spill air at the top allowing a bit more sail time before reefing.

On the bigger cruiser the boom vang is rigid and more holds the boom up than anything. Yes we play with it but not very often and again, we do not race so every 1/4 knot is not isn't as important.

Scott