Keel position when trailering

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mike22

Keel position when trailering

Post by Mike22 »

Just bought a 22 Chrysler. It came with the original trailer which is a perfect fit. My question is should I lower the keel to ride in the cradle on the trailer while towing? Or should I let the winch hold the weight with the keel up in trunk?
Thanks for any advice.
Reality

Post by Reality »

I'd lower it, especially for any distance of road trip.
Mike22

Post by Mike22 »

Thanks reality, those were my thoughts also. The lake, Allatoona is only 25 miles away but don't like the idea of the winch/pin holding that weight. I just cringe at the sight of potholes. The boat handles like abeauty at first the listing wakes you up but then like boost the forward motion kicks on and she's
off.

Thanks for your reply
Guster

Post by Guster »

I always lower it onto the trailer before I take the mast down. And crank it up just before splashing it.
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The trailer instructions say to lower keel onto trailer supports when in transit.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Agreed 100%!
Lower it!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Yes, let the trailer carry the weight of the keel, not the boat. (if that makes sense) :?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Guster

Post by Guster »

It's been a while since I had my boat in the water so I forgot to mention this.

If you have the original Chrysler trailer, the keel sits in a "V". The last few times I pulled the boat out of the water I lowered the keel while the boat was hooked to the trailer (winched all the way up on the trailer) but still floating. By doing this the boat automatically centers itself on the trailer. For years I would pull the boat out and check if it was centered. If it wasn't (50% of the time) I would back it in and try again. Then it occurred to me that the "V" was probably meant to guide the keel down onto the trailer. Most of you probably already do this, but if not give it a try. I can't believe I went so long without noticing/trying this. It works slick.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22