Epoxy a Depth Finder TRANSDUCER INSIDE THE HULL OF A BOAT

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
C22KC

Epoxy a Depth Finder TRANSDUCER INSIDE THE HULL OF A BOAT

Post by C22KC »

I just purchased a Norcross Hawkeye D10D Depth Sounder with a transducer which can be mounted on the INSIDE hull of the boat. I wonder if anybody else has installed one of these and any words of advice. The instructions specify that it should be mounted at a low point of the boat which contains the least amount of obstructions, i.e. foam, plywood, fiber filler, etc. I was thinking that the port side forward storage compartment would be a good spot (under the forward cushion seat). Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walt C-22 #1619
Last edited by C22KC on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That's generally the area I placed the one on my C26, worked fine
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Place my Hummingbird transducer below the aft bilge plywood of my C26. Absolutely no issues (other then forgetting to turn it ON in shallow water).
Dave

1976 Mutineer
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Walt-
I've installed a few this way, here's the scoop:
Depth finders are sounders that pulse a sound wave and measure return off a change in density of material the sound is travelling through. If you mount one to the hull with epoxy, you want to make sure you are mounting it on a solid surface. Any void in the hull will interfere or stop your signal. You couldn't, for example, epoxy it to the center walkway of the cabin since there is a slight air gap between that structure and the hull.
Since the Chryslers have a solid core hull, you should have no problem with the area you described. (Unless your boat has an air pocket in the original hull lay-up, but not likely.)
Good luck!
Mark
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Another mounting option:
On a C22 I glued a 4" ABS plastic pipe cap to the floor under the aft setti.
I notched the top so the transducer wire could slide through, filled it with water on top of the transducer inside the cap, then screwed the lid on!

Very easy, effective, and allowed removal of the system as necessary!
remember to remove the water if you live in freezing weather!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I also installed a 4 inch PVC pipe coupling to the floor of my C22, as Capt. Scott did. I used the type of coupling that would join a standard unthreaded PVC pipe to a threaded style pipe. I used 100% silicone caulsk to glue the coupling to the hull, aft of the thru hull fitting that the keel cable comes thru.
I notched the threaded portion to the aft, just enough to allow the transducer cable to enter and to allow a threaded pipe plug to screw down enough to keep the water inside from splashing out or evaporating. Mine is a Humminbird HDR 650, which is designed for transom mounting, but works fine with this method. You must make sure to orient the transducer in the correct direction if it is like mine, meaning if it has a front and back directionally to the boat.
As Scott said, fill the coupling with enough water to cover the transducer and it seems to work well. Just make sure that the transducer is on a solid part of hull with no voids or insulation.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

if you fill the pipe with RV antifreeze you won't have to worry about freezing
C22KC

Post by C22KC »

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Mark & Bill, it sounds like the aft settee/cable thru-hull area of my C-22 will the best location and I like the 4" pipe approach. Just curious, why the need to fill it with water, better echo transfer? The instructions on mine indicated that it could be epoxied directly to the hull and no mention of submerging it in water.

Thanks,

Walt C-22 #1619
C22KC

Post by C22KC »

Thinking about using J-B Weld 50172 MarineWeld Marine Adhesive Epoxy for the 4" pipe (sounds permanent) - or would 3M 5200 or 4200 be better?

Thanks,

Walt C-22 #1619
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I didn't epoxy mine to the hull at all...just pointed it forward and covered with water so it had no air bubbles between it and the hull. My instruction manual said to use slow cure epoxy so there was time for any air bubbles in the epoxy to escape before it cured. I know that Capt. Scott did not epoxy his and it worked well. I'm not going to epoxy mine as long as it works the way it is. I have heard of people using a plastic baggie filled with water with the transducer inside to test various locations on their boats..
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

won't this location get interference from the metal swing keel?
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

You can place the transducer in a zip lock bag of water and move it around to see how different areas work before you epoxy it in place.

Also remember the signals spread out in a cone as they leave the transducer so you have to be far enough away from the keel to avoid interference.