LS 13 drainage plugs

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Charla

LS 13 drainage plugs

Post by Charla »

I just purchased a LS 13 and it did not come with plugs. :(
Because the rudder is so close to the transom drain, it must take a special plug but the hole is not threaded for a screw in type. Unfortunately the manual does not show a picture so I don't have any idea of what part 22571 looks like.

Does anyone know where to get the right kind of plug (and can you describe it).

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm crazy to get out on the water!
Michigan sailing
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had this same issue with another boat; what I found was a live bait well plug would fit. they come in a couple sizes

Similar example at

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yak-gea ... tid=766610

Or you may have to measure, and head to the hardware section at the big box store and find a generic rubber plug you can add a handle to..
Charla

Post by Charla »

Thank you very much!
The plug shown has a handle that would interfere with the rudder pin but it gives me a new option to explore. The rubber plug may be my best bet if I can't find a shorter stemmed version.
Michigan sailing
Culver

LS 13 Plugs for Sale

Post by Culver »

I have LS 13 Plugs for Sale - $10 plus shipping.
kerryon

Drain Plug

Post by kerryon »

Its counter intuitive, but the plug is inserted from the inside of the boat out. Even the "factory" plug is a cam style, squeeze type pressure fitting plug that wont fit if you install it on the outside under the rudder pin. The cam or twist style should both work - you are just installing it backwards :)
Charla

Post by Charla »

Thank you very much for the missing part of the puzzle. I found the idea that the plug was inserted from the inside completely counterintuitive and was worried that it would be loosened by water pressure. I'm very reassured that I won't sink mid lake. :o
Michigan sailing
kerryon

Post by kerryon »

Just clean the aluminum thru hull with some 3x steel wool to make sure its smooth and it will seal just fine. The transom is only pressurized when you are sitting still or in light air, most of the time its very minimal inward pressure. You have a better chance of it leaking at the two bilge board handle ports then at the rear plug! Those require adjusting and the occasional opening up and sealing with waterproof grease. Good luck!