taking on WATER

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Lombardi52

taking on WATER

Post by Lombardi52 »

launched the C22 two weeks ago, taking on roughly 8 gallons of water every other day... any suggestions?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Keel Pin/Brackets maybe ? Also maybe the rudder post ? Those are the first problem areas that come to my mind
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree with EE 100%.
One more place to look is under the starboard setti.
There is a through hull there also.

When you look at the keel pin area remember to check both sides! There is a big black plug on the starboard side, and look under the forward port setti for the other side.

Scott
JChrysler

Taking on water

Post by JChrysler »

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but when my swing keel is all the way down and the cable is slack, any wave causes the front of the keel to hit the housing. This caused a big leak in the in front of the keel housing. Its hard to fix because you can't get to it from inside. I had to cut a 4" by 6" hole in the floor behind the keel. You might want to check if this is where your leak is.
jsa

Post by jsa »

New owner with a piggy back question for JChrysler and the rest. Do most of you put the keel all the way down, with the cable slack? I read that the boat performs best when the keel is 60 degrees to the waterline, but that may not be accurate. I've been lowering mine all the way, and then raising it by 5-6 turns. Does this sound right?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

The C22 is designed for the keel to drop only enough to achieve 60 degrees. You should NOT run with the cable slack and keel all the way down.
jsa

Post by jsa »

Thank you!
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

And a big affirmative from here about the comment that the keel cable should never be slack.
I changed mine in the last year and used the Chrysler manual in the document section. It even states what the angle of the keel is with a certain amount of turns on the winch.
It's a document in C22 section called "C22 centerboard" and I'll paste the link in hopes that will get you there quick.
http://captainscottsailing.com/Chrysler ... rboard.pdf
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
parared

Post by parared »

Careyr wrote:And a big affirmative from here about the comment that the keel cable should never be slack.
I changed mine in the last year and used the Chrysler manual in the document section. It even states what the angle of the keel is with a certain amount of turns on the winch.
It's a document in C22 section called "C22 centerboard" and I'll paste the link in hopes that will get you there quick.
http://captainscottsailing.com/Chrysler ... rboard.pdf
Wow, I thought I had seen all the c22 docs, but this one slipped me by. Thanks for the pointer.
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

It's almost hidden because of the name, yet it has great info. Be nice if it could be re-named - or a copy made that has a name referencing the winch and/or cable.

It really helped me when I remounted my winch and cut a new cable. Since my boat is a TMI I decided, just in case, to add a little length. And I'm keeping a copy until I can winch my keel down in clear water; then, when certain, I am going to paint marks on the cable. The 60 degree mark will be red, meaning STOP CRANKING!! lol
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
Lombardi52

Post by Lombardi52 »

Defiantly coming from the starboard side of the keel pin (under the rubber black cover). Does anyone know of a bandaid or wet fix that will get us through the rest of the season?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I've had several C22's with lots of goop put on the leaking area.

This is not a fix but can slow the leaking.

Keep in mind though, anything you goop in there will eventually need to come back out! LOL! Well, when I did my keel pin plates I was not laughing. Not even a little when I had to clean that out!

Remember some sealants are good in fresh water but not in salt water so be sure to check that if you that route.

Scott