Battery for C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
sailaway_steve

Battery for C26

Post by sailaway_steve »

Does anyone have a good idea as what battery I should get for my C26? I have been back and forth with looking at AGM batteries and Deep cycle batteries. I have experience with deep cycle batteries and never had any problems with spillage or having to refill them. But a friend of mine recommended AGM because they're sealed and so there's less worry about heeling. But then the AGM batteries are more. The longevity I'm looking for is at least two or three days, hopefully I can have a solar panel to trickle in power while not in use. Any thoughts from experience about batteries? Or if we're thinking ahead, any experience with solar panels to use when out for a few days?
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

The big factor for what battery will be your usage. People use traditional deep cycle batteries, and AGM, on sailboats, so I don't think there is a right or wrong there. Just get one that will meet your needs, and make sure you have an appropriate charging system for your battery, as that has a bit impact on battery life. I think solar is a good idea. I bought a 50w panel I am in the process of installing this week. I think the biggest challenge with the 26 is battery placement. Last year I had it under the companionway steps, but after reworking some things, I really can't fit it there any more. I am now moving it to the port side aft of the galley. Not the best, as the boat already is heavy to that side, but I don't see another reasonable option right now.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I have an AGM battery on my C22 with a 20 watt solar panel and a small charge controller. It starts the 9.8 Tohatsu fine and seems to be working to fill my needs.
Bill
sailaway_steve

Post by sailaway_steve »

Good thoughts! Thanks! Where did you shop for your solar panels? There are a lot of options out there for which solar panel to get and where to get it. I know West Marine has a good selection but you pay a premium cost for it. Is it worth it?
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

I bough a Renogy panel online. Solar technology has come way down in price, and I am not convinced you get you moneys worth on a "premium" brand. I am just hooking mine up, so can't comment on longevity, but their customer service was excellent when I dealt with them.
sailaway_steve

Post by sailaway_steve »

Also on the subject of electricity, do you know if Chrysler grounded their masts in case of a thunderstorm? I have a '72 MacGregor Venture that's grounded from the mast and forestay to a copper plate on the underside of the hull. But I can't see where it is grounded on this boat. I've heard some theories if grounding is a good idea or not, but I had wondered if Chrysler grounded their boats.
Any ideas on this?? :)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE has huge copper cables that run from the chainplates down under the banquettes then back under stern berth area to an external zinc plate. But honestly there are several 90 degree bends along the way, and I seriously down a big honking blast of voltage would follow that path without jumping ship...