Gooseneck Reefing Hook

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jsa

Gooseneck Reefing Hook

Post by jsa »

Does anyone have any recommendations for installing a reefing hook to the goose neck bolt. I'm pretty sure I'm looking to go for the universal type, but I am uncertain of the correct size.

The boats on the water right now, so I'm not able to get a measurement.

Has anyone installed one? Any help/advice is appreciated.
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

I can't offer much help, but I did buy a reefing hook with the intention of putting it on the goose neck like you mention. When I got it to the boat, I really didn't like the way it looked like it would fit. It seemed like it would be awkward at best to cram the sail down, and get that hook through the reefing grommet. I decided instead to attach a hook to a piece of line so I can put the hook in the grommet, pull the sail down, and make the line fast. I also rigged lines on the boom to reef the clew so I can do it all at the mast. Previously I was just using scraps of line, and it was very slow and sloppy. Unfortunately our sailing season is over, so I won't get to try any of the improvements out until spring. You can find all manner of ideas for reefing hooks and lines on the web. With so many different ideas, I figure there is no right or wrong, so long as you get something that works well for you and your boat.