Compression post C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SailingNoob

Compression post C22

Post by SailingNoob »

Greetings all!
I am still preparing my C22 from purchase in Sept......my question is the compression post (cabin area) to top of keel below the Masthead....is this a necessary item or is just there to house the elec wiring? reason i ask......i removed it in order to access the wiring to the deck....rewiring the boat. It came out fairly easily and can easily put it back. Does not seem to have had any pressure points on it previously...no marks on fiberglass. All wood and base is in good shape. reasoning.....I would like to increase the opening into the forward berth and also extend old wall (interior) to the deck bottom.
SailingNoob
(Sailor Dan)
1976 C22 "Barbara Mae"

"He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea."-Thomas Fuller
Reality

Post by Reality »

this is absolutely a necessary structure under sail. Take a look at the interior photos of any sailboat and you'll always see this support or the mast comes through the cabin roof and attaches directly to the keel.
SailingNoob

-thx

Post by SailingNoob »

I thought it was necessary.....I did see one pic of a C22 interior that it was removed....so I was wondering.....thx.....it will be going back
SailingNoob
(Sailor Dan)
1976 C22 "Barbara Mae"

"He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea."-Thomas Fuller