Where's the water coming from?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.

Moderator: CaptainScott

ChrisC

Where's the water coming from?

Postby ChrisC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:27 pm

In the process of working on other projects on my C-22 I have developed a seeping water problem. My boat has been on a trailer since Otober 2016. However, water collects around the keel bolt area on the access hole side (starboard), and now that the plywood has been ground out on the port side, water puddles near that keel bolt as well. Using a mirror and a strong light, I can see moisture further forward in the hull.

I suspect this must be from the flotation foam. Is there anywhere else water could be hiding and seeping from? When I removed the black rubber plug to access the keel bolt area, water gushed out. A substantial amount!!

The water appears every couple of days. I vacuum it out, the area dries out, and then it's back 2 days later.

Two questions:
1) How does this water enter the boat? I know it isn't the keel bolt on the port side. But maybe starboard? What are other possible points of entry? Deck/hull joint (rain)? Area around the stantions?

2) How can I drain it or fix it? I remember Astrorad wrote a post about drilling a hole in the side of the settee to drain the water into the sole floor. This would be OK, but this water clearly seeps into the hull beneath the sole. Maybe it's coming from flotation beneath the v-berth. I believe this water may have contributed to the rot in the keel trunk bracing (that's already in a different thread).

I'm thinking about lowering the bow on the trailer so the water goes elsewhere, the keel bolt/trunk area dries out, and I can make my other repairs. And get my boat in the water. But of course, this does not solve the water problem, and perhaps sets things up for more rot later on.

Thanks for any advice.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows

Reality

Postby Reality » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 pm

I had some thing like that. It was the toe rail. I scraped out the caulk/sealant on the top inboard edge of the toe rail and resealed. It stopped.

ChrisC

Postby ChrisC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tip. After seeing the water I looked at the toe rail seal closely, and it does need work. It's on my to do list.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows

Reality

Postby Reality » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 pm

if it's severe you may need to remove the toe rail and redo the seal under it. I think there are pictures of this process somewhere on the site.

ChrisC

Postby ChrisC » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I may be able to do something quick, but it may require more work. I'll have to do some investigating. I think the area around the stanchions is also a problem. I will need to investigate. And yes, I've seen information on this on the site somewhere. :D

Reality

Postby Reality » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 am

yes, I also rebedded and refastened my stanchions

astrorad

Postby astrorad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Bill

astrorad

Postby astrorad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Here is video of hull to deck seal repair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5LrvklbtU
Bill

astrorad

Postby astrorad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Here is video of replacing toerail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwoELAC88I4
Bill

Return to “General Chrysler Sailing Discussion”