Keel Cable Replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
katzhome

Keel Cable Replacement

Post by katzhome »

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to replace the keel cable on Anam Cara, and reading through the old how-to's on the association site got me thinking. The survey indicated that most used wire, but some used line (dacron/spectra).

Does anyone around here use line for their keel cable? Is it knotted or eye spliced at the keel? Do you still use the keel winch or some other method to avoid chewing up the line?

I'm not against going with cable again, but line might be easier to deal with.

Thanks!
R.Katz
Archy

Post by Archy »

Hi R.Katz;

I bought Smiley on land and he had a length of 3/8" (I think) nylon line knotted onto a shackle on the keel. The line was suspicious and old looking so I decided right away to replace it. Upon the advice of a handy boat-shop person, I went with spectra to replace the line. I was able to attach the new line to the old one and pull it through the tube up to the winch, so that process took all of about 5 minutes!

The winch was also more or less dead so I decided to replace that too. I bought a trailer winch rated for 1300 lbs. This cost me about $50 (Canadian, but that's probably $45 US). The new winch bolted on to the old housing without having to re-drill the holes. That process took, maybe 10 minutes but mostly because of the old bolts that were a bit stiff.

All in all, it took me about 1/2 an hour, adding in a little time to read the instructions for the winch and many trips up and down the ladder from boat to ground. Of course, there was research and shopping before that.

I don't know how to splice braided rope (yet) so my spectra is knotted to a shackle at the keel.

There are some here who like the cable that will start siging at 4 knots. It's a very nice little knotmeter I guess!

Good luck with the project.

Archy
C22 Smiley :)
katzhome

Thanks!

Post by katzhome »

Have you found that you don't get much hum from the spectra? That would be a small added bonus, my hum was pretty loud.

I would expect to tie with a bowline, what knot did you use?

R.Katz
Gus

Post by Gus »

I wouldn't use line. Go with SS wire and a thimble in the keel end. Think about it, when you winch the keel up, all the water that the line absorbed will end up in the boat's cabin, and your winch will rust faster. I had a piece of SS wire made so I can carry a spare in my boat, it was less than 20 bucks.
Just my opinion

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Archy

Post by Archy »

Hey Gus;

Good point abou the water. I haven't noticed anything wet yet, perhaps the spectra dowesn't absorb much water. OR, maybe I'm just so psyched to be sailing that I'm oblivious!

RKatz - I tied with a bowline and haven't heard any keel hum at all. I was out yesterday and was doing 5.5 mph according to my GPS, so that's about 4 knots I guess and should have heard something.

It's all still new though...

Gus - just curious what you use for your rudder lift/lower lines? My 1/4 nylon already broke - something was fraying it I think (by the looks of it).

Cheers

Archy
Gus

Post by Gus »

I have some nylon lines in the rudder, but I'll be replacing them with dacron ASAP

Gus

p/s I have some chafe in the rudder lines as well. When I lower or raise the rudder, the line chafes with the SS rudder post. I mean to install something, but I'm always keeping that in the back burner.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
katzhome

Good Points

Post by katzhome »

I had not thought about water intrusion with the spectra line...maybe like Archy said it doesn't absorb much. I may get some spectra AND some cable and try each and see how it goes. Of course I have some trailer work to do before the boat goes out next time anyway <SIGH> :oops:

The previous owner had used cable for the rudder lines, and they had worn through the steel rudder post (basically making a V-section of hole in the side of the post) causing them to jam. I ground that area clean as best I could, replaced the cable with 1/4" spectra, rounded off the sharp ends of a piece of PVC pipe to minimize chafe, and epoxied it inside the rudder post to act as a guide and "lubricant" for the lines. I have not had any problems since.

Thanks for all the help!
R.Katz
Archy

Post by Archy »

Just an update on the hum with my spectra line ... it hums when I approach 8mph on the GPS. I think that's something like 5-6 knots.

Jeeezly loud too!

ha ha - nice to have that screaming away as you're bearing down on someone :)

Archy
OldUgly

Post by OldUgly »

I replaced mine with SS cable while the boat was still in the water. The existing steel cable broke while in the slip and you can't get her on a trailer while the keel is down.