Mi Amor restoration

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Skipper Dan

Mi Amor restoration

Post by Skipper Dan »

I had to get rid of Photobucket, so many adds it was just too hard to work with. I have all on Google drive so I will see how this works. It will be better when I can just upload a single pic so I can explain as I go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FDBBmZMz6kYYedVI2

I paid way too much for her but I bought it sight unseen and had to rely on the seller. About the only thing that was good was the shell and the trailer. 2' of water on the inside and only a worn out jib an a main that did not belong to the boat. Pulpits were bent from the mast dropping on it I am sure. Stanchions leaked. The only good thing about it was if I had looked first I would have left it there and that would have been a bigger mistake. I love this boat! It sails great and handles 4 to 5 foot waves so far. I had it out in 40 mph winds on Lake Sakakawea ND a very large long lake. The biggest man made reservoir in the USA. More to come.... feel free to ask questions about any of the pics. I tried to add captions but to no avail.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mi Amor restoration

Post by C22Bob »

Awesome restoration....you've put a ton of work into her and it shows! Nicely done. Pic gallery is great...looks like the kids were having a fun time and that's what it's all about :) Thanks for posting for all here to enjoy..
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

I still have a ways to go. I am going to redo the fore stay so that I have a bow roller. Then the stay hooks to that. The windows are coming out. I redid them but they still leak, bad design. I am going to use a larger Plexiglas and attach them direct to the hull via butyl tape and bolts with rubber washers. Similar to what I use on airplanes. Finish up the rack for the solar panels. I do not like the toe rail raised the way it is so I am going to fill it and lay a fake teak layer over it and along the complete rail. I have a new main but I still need a couple of jibs. Thinking about a 130 and a much smaller self tending boom jib, can't remember what it is called.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Wow...and I thought I did a lot of work on my C22...what a nice restoration job...congratulations.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

great work
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Looks good!
Scott
Guster

Post by Guster »

Skipper Dan,

Nice work. I like the electric sail-drive. We did something similar with our 22 but kept the outboard power head. It was a fun project. It takes a little thinking to operate a outboard below the water line. It's been very reliable but I see an electric conversion in my future. :D I like that setup.

Were those photos taken on Lake Sakakawea? It looks much like the Apostles.

I'm assuming you are a pilot also? Me too, it's amazing how sailing and flying go hand and hand.

Cheers,
Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

It is The Apostle Islands, well I guess really it is both. With the kids and family Apostle and alone Lake Sakakawea. Amazing how many Chryslers are here in the Midwest. If you go electric you will never go back. I have a pic of the Honda 2000 that sits in the aft locker that I made by covering up the outboard hole. It just fits! This will run the 10 amp 60v charger which gives me about 2.5 to 3 mph. The whole setup only cost me around $1000.00. And that motor is an induction brushless motor. NO FAN. The best part is it is always on and you can use it at .5 amps to just help the boat along and not any noticeable battery draw. Not only a pilot but I built planes also. A wing is a wing is a wing. vertical or horizontal. On my Cherokee Six I installed vortex generators, would be fun to try that on the sail.
Guster

Post by Guster »

There are a lot of Chrysler’s in the upper Midwest. One day out on lake Peppin a few summers ago I saw three 22’s (not including mine) and a 26.

I noticed the Honda in the back. I have a 22 so it would be tough to find a spot for a generator outside the cabin. I wish I had a 26. That has to one of the best trailer-cruisers ever built.

What airplanes have you built? I have the plans for a Cozy MKIV but work/kids/life hasn’t allowed the time to start on it. I have a few project planes too. And a Mooney 231 as my daily driver. I love the Cherokee 6 line of airplanes. They are like SUVs, I know my wife would love it. Vortex generators are amazing effective, a friend of mine installed them on his Baron. Greatly improves single engine handling.

Dan
1976 C-22
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

I started with a 172N, as my first plane 30 days into my classes after 10 hrs of flight time. After I got my license I traded it for a 152 from FL, great trip down and back. I tend to buy things sight unseen, the 152 quit in TN had to rebuild the carb to get back. This plane was in bad shape. The first plane I overhauled engine and airframe. Sold that to get the Cherokee six in immaculate condition. Flew that all over the US. Sold that and bought a Bellanca Viking 66. One of the best planes ever built. Then I bought a Nesmith Cougar experimental recovered it but never got a chance to fly it. Made a deal with a guy to rebuild a Champ and 170 for the exchange of a Taylorcraft. I also worked for a guy that had a plane salvage yard by Forest Lake and another A&P AI in Milaca MN. Some of the best times I had was landing at different airports across the US.

As far as the generator, the 22 does not have a engine mount like the 26? A smaller 1000 would be my choice for the 22 plenty of juice because you do not need as much motor maybe only 24v to 36v. I run my 2000 on top of the compartment. I only just store it underneath. I also installed a swim platform that it can sit on. I'll take some pics, I used two of the stanchions and some bamboo planks. I do not use the generator much as I also have solar.
Guster

Post by Guster »

Vikings are great but the wood wing scares people away. Years ago I did some flight training in Alexandria. The factory wasn’t making airplanes anymore but they were still servicing them. I remember flying into Milaca years ago to. They had a gravel runway at that time. I think they were in the process of putting in a paved runway. I looked at an Ercoupe that was for sale there. I have flown all around the country too and have to agree with you, best experiences. It’s been so much fun, thankfull to be born where and when I was.

The C22 has the outboard motor mount hung off the transom. There is a fuel tank locker in the rear of the cockpit. It fits a standard OMC 6 gal steel tank nicely but it would be a tight fit for a generator. Maybe the 1000.

Do you still use the forward/reverse gears In the lower unit or just run the motor in reverse?
1976 C-22
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

I just run the motor in reverse. you can see the knob on the panel in the cockpit. Once we get to upload pics it will be easier to show. This motor uses a very inexpensive controller just a toggle switch to reverse and a pedometer I think it is called to change speed. So simple it is scary.
DizzyG78

Post by DizzyG78 »

Simply awesome job!

The motor conversion is impressive...dang it, now you've got me thinking LOL!
Joshua "Dizzy" Gillespie
S/V Lady Anne
Euchee Marina, Ten Mile, TN