Newbie to sailing

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Nikikobeinga

Newbie to sailing

Post by Nikikobeinga »

Greetings to all.
In planning to retire in the next 3-4 years and planning to sail for the twilight years, started with an O'day 14 to learn the ropes, so to speak, earlier this spring. Ran into a good deal on a Chrysler 22 in fair condition so picked up for a project boat and sail before retirement move to warmer climate and better wind than around Atlanta area. Need to polish the hull, redo all cushions, and rewire the entire boat. Sails in good condition but all the running rigging needs replaced as it has sat on a trailer for the last 15 years that I can determine. Previously was sailed on Lake Lanier (north Atlanta), but seems to be a dry boat inside. Galley looks to have never been used. It will take some time to get all setup but should be a fun project. Some of the posted videos by Astrorad will be of much help in the repair along the way. The forum has a lot of great ideas and look forward to using all the information along the way. New to a forum so bear with me along the journey.

Kevin

Oday Javelin
Chrysler 22
Skipper Dan

Re: Newbie to sailing

Post by Skipper Dan »

Good luck Kevin. I'll try and find a link for running rigging. I think it is Milwaukee something, surplus stuff I got a good deal on my jib and main halyards.

Dan
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Nikikobeinga wrote:Greetings to all.
In planning to retire in the next 3-4 years and planning to sail for the twilight years, started with an O'day 14 to learn the ropes, so to speak, earlier this spring. Ran into a good deal on a Chrysler 22 in fair condition so picked up for a project boat and sail before retirement move to warmer climate and better wind than around Atlanta area. Need to polish the hull, redo all cushions, and rewire the entire boat. Sails in good condition but all the running rigging needs replaced as it has sat on a trailer for the last 15 years that I can determine. Previously was sailed on Lake Lanier (north Atlanta), but seems to be a dry boat inside. Galley looks to have never been used. It will take some time to get all setup but should be a fun project. Some of the posted videos by Astrorad will be of much help in the repair along the way. The forum has a lot of great ideas and look forward to using all the information along the way. New to a forum so bear with me along the journey.

Kevin

Oday Javelin
Chrysler 22
Kevin,

Welcome aboard...similar situation here. Bought my C22 5 years ago as a project retirement toy for the Great Lakes and just finished her this Fall. Live in Knoxville but spend a fair amount of time around Lakes Superior and Michigan in the summer. You'll find tons of information here on all those things you mentioned --- electrical , hull, and lots more. A galley is usually a rare find, and even more rare to be in good condition. For running rigging, I've purchased several very nice items from a seller on eBay known as 'rags4jc'. He sells very good quality 3/8" Polyester Double Braid Line for a great price. Also has good deals on Main Sheets and Vangs using Schaefer , Harken, or Ronstan Block/Tackle. If you need standing rigging, I've used Riggingonly.com out of the Boston area. Great service and turn around. They use Hayn swaged fittings and turnbuckles. Hope that helps, and again, welcome aboard!

Bob
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions about work the I have done on my C22 restoration, feel free to message me at astrorad1@wi.rr.com
It is quite a coincidence that you started with an O'Day Javelin and are now moving up to a C22, as I no longer own a C22 and have moved down to an O'Day Javelin.
Bill
Nikikobeinga

Post by Nikikobeinga »

Thanks to all for the replies. I look forward to all the assistance and info in the forum.
Bill- enjoyed all the videos and hope to use a couple of your ideas. Yes, interesting coincidence.
Bob- nice boat and that for the suggestions. I had run across "rags4jc" in the eBay site and have his store in my favorites.
Anyhow, this will be a fun project and hope for a good outcome.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
Scott