Kind of an Emergency: Winter Water Leaks Filling Bilge and Cabin Sole

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Lydia J

Kind of an Emergency: Winter Water Leaks Filling Bilge and Cabin Sole

Post by Lydia J »

Cheers Fellow Chrysler, Sandpiper 22 Owners

I just posted to another forum about water in the bilge. It seems my brand new boat--to me--has a slow, but very steady water leak that has the nerve to get into four compartments that are separated from each other by deep fiberglass walls/sides.

As we speak, ice is probably reforming in the bilge that has water inside. Which manual pump should I buy--with quickness?

Your new sailing sister,
Lydia
jsa

Re: Kind of an Emergency: Winter Water Leaks Filling Bilge and Cabin Sole

Post by jsa »

Sorry you are having bad luck with your new boat. Mine got flooded during Hurricane Mathew on the trailer and I evacuated the water with a batter operated sump pump I got for like 20-30 bucks at Lowe's. With fresh batteries it will actually move water pretty fast. You may want to get a cheap bit of extra hose if the one provided with the pump isn't long enough or you can pump into a bucket and dump.

Sorry, not an exact answer but it will at least help get the water out.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kind of an Emergency: Winter Water Leaks Filling Bilge and Cabin Sole

Post by CaptainScott »

If you are looking for pure manual, there are several hand pumps out there. Even simple kayak pumps.
As above you can pump into a bucket and toss into the cockpit of the C22. If properly clean the water will drain into the aft center lazerette and out the back of the boat.

On the other end of the spectrum,
I mounted a water puppy on the flat spot behind the hand crank for the winch. Ran a hose to the stern of the boat through an outlet. used a second hose like a shop vac to suck water from anywhere it collected. This worked extremely well for me! Just hooked it up to a switch and used on an as needed basis

Scott