Where should I mount my new MFD (Chartplotter)?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Snowdog2

Where should I mount my new MFD (Chartplotter)?

Post by Snowdog2 »

Hi all,
I have a '77 Chrysler 26 and a new Garmin 74cv Chartplotter. I am trying to figure out where to mount it. I've never had one before. For those of you with something similar, where did you mount it?

Thank you.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where should I mount my new MFD (Chartplotter)?

Post by EmergencyExit »

I have a 54DV on the Compac, and I couldn't decide where to put it either. Thought about mounting it inside the cabin on a swivel arm/bracket that swung it out into the cockpit, but didn't see any I liked. Or was willing to pay for..

As a temporary setup I used my top companionway board as a pattern and cut one from plywood, stained it and sealed it. Then mounted the device in the center of that, and I slip in in place when sailing, store below when not. I do have to remove it to get in and out of the cabin, but if you put in on the lowest board you could step over it.

Might be a good solution till you've tried it out to see how far away you can read it, etc.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I mounted a depth finder on a swivel in the companion way on a C22!
I really liked the access as needed! Normally I did not swing it out but when necessary, I could easily!

I like EE's idea!

Scott
okchance

Post by okchance »

20180501_091203.jpg
This is what I did in my Triton. Made an extra washboard and mounted the chartplotter in it. Enables me to see it in the cockpit, plus can be turned around to be viewed in the cabin for anchor watch at night. Also easy to pull the board out and replace with the original one while not at the boat. Just cut a notch at the bottom for any cabling.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
1962 Pearson Triton Tramp
Snowdog2

Post by Snowdog2 »

Hi all,
I liked the ideas presented. In the end, I mounted it on the table in the cabin (which I can see from the cockpit). I also bought an extension for the cables and put a second mounting disk in the front of the cockpit. So when I want to have the MFD up close, I can. It means a cable running through the cabin, but usually we are not down there a lot anyway unless we are not actually sailing.

Thank you.