My C22 will soon be on auction . . ..

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

My C22 will soon be on auction . . ..

Post by dennyzen »

A red 1979 C22 will soon go live on the IAA auction site. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=277 ... ecent=True

I don't have anything to do with the auction so not sure when it goes live. I had to give up the sailing hobby so I donated my boat to NPR. It took a while to get the duplicate titles to transfer it and the insurance agency handling it (via the old cartalk organization) has sure taken its time.

The website describes it as "HAIL" damage, but that is just a landlubber's assumption. The little spots that look like hail damage to them is where the hardware was removed to later rebed with butyl. I tried to tell anyone I talked to that it was a good boat with almost all the parts, but these guys usually deal in damaged goods and I don't know how much of the real information will show up on the auction page.

It is now sort of a project boat but with all the parts except the motor. It was last on the water about 2010. About that time, I removed the toe rails and ALL of the hardware from the companion way forward to rebed everything. The lifeline and the stantions were also removed with the idea I would make new backing material before reinstalling the stanchions. I got one toerail on before I had to finally give the boat up. The boat has the mast and boom, with both the original mast step and the hinge type (pick one and install it). The sails include the main, a storm jib, a regular jib and a genoa. Other parts are in boxes in the cockpit hatches and down below, including the original wood trim pieces. The inside is clean as I removed as much as the burlap wall covering AND the adhesive that I could. I was following all the advise and experiences of folks on the forum, especially the videos. Just didn't get as far as I hoped. I made a few attempts to restart my project, but was stalled each time by health issues. I finally saw the futility with my efforts so now, it goes to someone else to enjoy. I had it and enjoyed for over a decade. I hope somebody from the forum sees it and can take it on.

Denny
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My C22 will soon be on auction . . ..

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry to see the boat go but maybe she'll come back with a new owner!
Will you be moving on to other hobbies or is there possibly a new boat in your future?

Scott
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dennyzen »

No boats, I am out of the climbing and DIY parts of hobbies. A broken arm and some other health issues did me in. The newly discovered zebra mussels in our lake sort of crowned it.

However, I am have evolved my long time interest in a more stable (landlubber-type) hobby--astronomy. Spending more time out in darker skies and doing actual observing. Sailing and the stars always sort of competed for my time, but I am now rolling around with a smallish fiberblass camper trailer (an '85, perhaps a little DIY yet), so there are similarities all the same.

I reserve my opportunities for sailing--my next door neighbor has a 16 foot laser(?) and also last month volunteered to help bottom paint a friends 31 foot, Catalina. I could do it all standing up. Now I can hitch a few sailing rides later this summer and someone else is doing all the sailing.

About every two years I visit Seattle and make a visit to the Wooden Boat Center on Union Lake.

I'll still watch this forum from time to time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Hopefully those can be controlled or repaired. Funny how things are! Last year I gave my 6" reflector Celestron scope to my neighbors with grand kids in hopes of getting them more interested in astronomy. Anytime an interesting event came up, I'd have it out in the street with neighbors looking on and my camera body hooked up in hopes of that one shot!
The scope was to much for the boat so . . . . . .off it went! LOL! Many times my bride asked to take it on the boat but that environment would have destroyed the scope over time.

I'm about 30 miles North of Seattle in Everett. Destiny is at the POE. If you ever have the desire, look us up and maybe a nice afternoon sail can be had!

Scott