Mast Crutch instalation

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ktaylor982

Mast Crutch instalation

Post by ktaylor982 »

Just recently bought a 1976 Chrysler 22. It has been sitting for30 years without being used. Been reading a lot from the forum and the website to get the boat back to pristine shape.

Question is how would you attach a Mast Crutch to the back of the C-22? I have seen a lot of them used on Catalina 22's but they connect there's to the tiller mount. Any suggestions?
cummings

Re: Mast Crutch instalation

Post by cummings »

Here's what I do. I bought a 10' 2x6 and attached a roller to the top of it so the mast rides on it. My C22 has a transom mount on it. I leave off the outboard, take the 2x6 and strap it to the transom mount and ensure the bottom is firmly in contact with the pavement. The setup is rock solid. Then I lift the boom up and set it in the crutch with it riding on the roller. It makes for an easy time moving the mast along it. I'm currently working on a rigging at the front so I can quickly use the winch to raise the mast. Right now I do the Jin pole method Chrysler details, but it takes too long for my tastes.
Matthew Cummings
ktaylor982

Re: Mast Crutch instalation

Post by ktaylor982 »

I did something similar with mine. Used a 1 1/4" x 4' square tubbing with a 1" x 4' square tubing inside it. Was able to weld a roller on top. that way I can use it to transport the mast then extend it up for mounting. Attached to the transom motor mount but with the engine on its going to run into problems. I will probable try securing the bottom to inside of the cockpit area then strap to the railing.