I did it! I bought a boat today.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
B&G Clinger

I did it! I bought a boat today.

Post by B&G Clinger »

After some searching.....I pulled the trigger on a 1978 Chrysler C-22 and a tandem axle trailer. Feelin pretty good, as this is a "ready to go" boat and I only gave $2600! It has all the normal small fix em up spots.....but I think she is a solid boat. I cant go pick it up till Saturday. But if I can figure out how to post pics, I will share some then.

Here is a link to the add with some pics of it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... _OH9v42Oe7
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I did it! I bought a boat today.

Post by CaptainScott »

AWESOME! Congratulations on your new to you boat!
The C22 is a pretty solid and nice boat!

Welcome aboard!
Scott
bjaeger

Post by bjaeger »

Beautiful C22!! Makes my heart beat a little faster to see how "Ship Shape" she looks. Seems like everything's there, including the American Flag! Wonderful family, giving lots of support. Is that a Ham radio tower in the background? My two favorite things, sailing & ham radio.

Bruce
B&G Clinger

Post by B&G Clinger »

Bjaeger, no idea on the tower. Your probably right. These were the pictures from the add from the seller. I have the boat home now. And man, did she tow like a dream and an easy cleanup. She is lookin way better now than in the pictures. I have some excellent pictures from after we got her home.....but not sure how to share them. I will try to figure it out so you guys can see where I am at on gettin her ready for the water again. I will second the "faster heartbeat" I just absolutely love the lines on this ole Chrysler. She is a gorgeous sailboat!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hello! Awesome, solid boats. I can't seem to get rid of mine even though I recently bought a Compac 23. I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I was looking at your pictures, and according to the instructions that came with my Tohatsu outboard, I have to store it horizontally with the tiller down so oil won't get in the cylinder head.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Gus, you and I may be the only 2 people on the planet with both a Chrysler and a ComPac ! 8)

(Agree on the outboard, I'd flip it over to the correct side a while and pull the plug before starting to be sure no oil is in the head)
Gus

Post by Gus »

EmergencyExit wrote:Gus, you and I may be the only 2 people on the planet with both a Chrysler and a ComPac ! 8)

(Agree on the outboard, I'd flip it over to the correct side a while and pull the plug before starting to be sure no oil is in the head)
Most likely! I ponder about giving the boat away, I just can't. Maybe after I sail the Compac a few times it'll be easier, but I just have this crazy idea the Chrysler is a faster boat.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
B&G Clinger

Post by B&G Clinger »

So, if I am understanding you guys correctly these small outboards should not be stored lying flat on the ground with the tiller up? This motor is an Evinrude and it just seems like the natural way to let it sit. But I ran this engine in the driveway today while propped in a plastic barrel full of water. It seemed to run okay, but I thought it smoked a little too much. Could the reason that I layed it flat on the floor? Also what is the fuel/oil mixture typically on an old 6 HP Evinrude?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

B & G Clinger
There is no problem storing an outboard on it's side just be sure to store it on the side indicated by the label it should have on the cowel. A bit of smoke when first starting is normal for a 4 stroke stored on it's ide. Storing a 2 stroke on either side will make no difference as long as it's a small model that does not have an oil sump.
Rick
B&G Clinger

Post by B&G Clinger »

Thanks for the feedback Rick. This is definitely an older 2 stroke engine. So the little bit of smoke.......not a big deal, or something I should worry about?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

B&G
The only oil burning in your 2 stroke is what you mixed in the gas . Make sure you do mix in the oil or you will have very poor boat anchor. Ratios vary greatly in range. Older outboards routinely used 100 to 1 ratios until the epa got involved. Now I believe most engines are using 50 to 1. You can get away with using just about any engine oil you want to mix in but using 2 stroke oil will have the right addatives . No matter how you mix it the engine is going to burn oil as a 2 stroke engine.
Rick , former marina mechanic at Blue Mesa Resivoir Elk Creek Marina , CO