Cockpit floor construction on C26?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Highwinds

Cockpit floor construction on C26?

Post by Highwinds »

Cockpit on my C26 could use some reinforcement. Not a pressing issue, maybe a fix for next winter. A few spider cracks in the cockpit floor, but would want to reinforce before addressing. I have the wonderful fur on the bottom of the sole underneath the rear berth in very good shape. A few small leaks at the corners from what I can tell.

Can someone tell me what the construction of the floor is? Assume there is some wood core between the layers of the fiberglass? Thoughts on reinforcement?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Kyle
Skipper Dan

Re: Cockpit floor construction on C26?

Post by Skipper Dan »

I think it is solid fiberglass, but I think your leaks are coming from the screw holes on the upper part holding down the teak boards I just took mine off and left them off and filled the holes. Check the scuppers in the rear.
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Thanks Dan. If there is no wood core on the cockpit floor that will make it much easier to reinforce. As I was tapping on it it did seem like it was all glass. Boat is in my barn, but will run the hose to determine where the leaks are.

Kyle
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

The cockpit floor is fiberglass with plywood under that. No inner layer of fiberglass just the fuzzy stuff. Mine was rotten where the port lights leaked. This created a rotten plywood strip all the way across the bottom and up the sides to the portlights. Easy to remove the rotten section the rest took forever to cut out without damaging the fiberglass above.

Good Luck.
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Thanks Holiday, will let you know how I make out, probably a winter project. I will peel back the fuzz a bit and take a look to see what kind of shape they plywood is in. Did you replace with plywood again, or a plasti-composite type of board?

Kyle
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I replaced it with marine plywood using thickened epoxy.