Mast Step Trouble

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
walterse

Mast Step Trouble

Post by walterse »

Hello everyone,

So after a few weeks of doing repairs it was finally time to take our C22 out this weekend past for the first time. We got to the marina and had some friends there to help step the mast. The previous owner constructed a dedicated gin pole, and when I inserted it into the mast, part of the mast foot snapped off (no pressure was applied). I don't have any pictures at the moment, but its at the very bottom of the mast (where you insert the pin/boom used to step the mast). Unfortunately this meant that we were not able to get the boat in the water, but now I need to replace it. The hook part that is on the deck is in good shape and I don't know that I really want to covert to a hinge system.

Does anyone have any advice on removing that foot part, or know where to find a replacement?

Thanks in advance!
CLS72

Re: Mast Step Trouble

Post by CLS72 »

No idea - will be easier to see some pictures.........below are some from my mast base; which is the portion that broke?

Now, maybe will be the opportunity to install a Mast Hinge instead?
Attachments
IMG_8033.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg
walterse

Post by walterse »

Here are pictures of the damage. I have not been able to find a replacement part for just that foot piece. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Mast break 1 (1).jpg
Mast break 2 (1).jpg
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

Doubt the part itself will be available;

You may need to consider a Mast Hinge; I'm also looking at that for next season; if you zoom-in the picture of my mast, you can see there is a crack starting to form in almost the same shape of yours so I won't be surprised if my mast is close to have the same failure......

there are a couple of threads here about mast hinges --although some are dated--

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3375&hilit=hinge
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

I have been looking at this one (for the Hinge), they may have a base for the mast as well ......
https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp
Captainbtd

Post by Captainbtd »

+1 on the broken mast foot! Photo attached (I hope). I also looked for a replacement part but had no luck.
I was however able to raise the mast using the pin and a wooden gin pole that I shaped the end of to fit around the foot of the mast and with a ratchet strap to hold it tight and in place. Pretty sure I got the idea somewhere on this forum. I later saw someone on the forum who had attached a metal strip around the foot of the mast with a hole in it for the pin to fit through. I thought that was a pretty good idea. I will be installing a mast hinge before my next mast stepping and I'm hoping that will help keep things in place!
By the way, when unstepping the mast using the oem hook make sure you support the weight of the mast for the last several feet on the way down...I did not and it pulled the hook right out of the deck. I am still finishing the rebuilding of my mast step from that mistake.
Attachments
IMG_1442 (1).JPG
Brian
CaptainBangTheDock

1977 Chrysler C22
To be renamed... Formerly "Tigger"
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

Did you end up installing the hinge?

I bought the large one and I'm planning to install this year - just removed the mast this morning....so likely will start the work one of these weekends......
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

Bunch of pictures.......
Attachments
IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

More
Attachments
IMG_2834.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
Lydia J

Post by Lydia J »

Sorry you’re going through this too. My mast FOOT came off when I transported the boat 1300 miles, over land, last summer. I have searched high and low for an OEM replacement. I found a guy at Midwest Sailing, in Michigan, who said he thought they had info on the company that made those parts for Chrysler. I just contacted him yesterday, which was Friday. So, I may not hear back from him fir a few days. He thought there may be some leftover parts somewhere. I’m not holding my breath though.

There are non on EBay. Dwyer doesn’t have one close enough to work they said yesterday. I know they will fabricate one. Although, people so know in the industry tell me it will cost $1000. Uh, no. I have an email into Rig Rite, and need to get the name of another mast manufacturer outfit that carries OEM parts as well.

I moved to Oriental, NC last summer to live aboard my 22, and the mast hasn’t been up once. I’m at a marina trying to resolve this issue without spending what the boat cost me.

Many people think we’re talking about the mast step, but it’s the foot, the bottom cap of the mast itself. I want to thank the person who added photos of the mast foot because I needed those as well.

A rigger friend of mine may build a tabernacle which I think I prefer to that small looking hinge setup. We’ll see. How do you guys like the hinge steps? Are they strong enough for the beefy mast on a Chrysler 22?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

For the broken out peg hole the easy fix is to buy some light gage stainless steel about 2” wide and rivet it in place around the mast, then just drill a hole for the peg . All the peg does is keep the pole sitting on the mast. All the pressure will be straight down if you rig it correctly. The fix for the mast foot is not too difficult either. You can order1/2 or 3/4 AL plate on line , I have cut 5/8 plate on my band saw with a wood cutting blade. Cut 2 layers, one to fit in the mast the other to match the out side. Bolt the two together then fasten them into the mast with screws and adhesive . You could also mill or drill a hole for the stub on the cabin top but since those have a tendency to break with a significant chance of injury it would be a good time to install a mast hinge . The hinges work well and are a lot safer. Another alternative might be to use hard wood but I would not hesitate to do the AL plate and you could have it fabricated for less than $ 100.00 . Hope this helps.
Rick SV Brigadoon C26
Ice Cream Pirate

Post by Ice Cream Pirate »

This is wonderful. Last season my son and I raised the mast without knowing about the Jin pole. (yes, we are new). It was incredibly difficult and took all of our combined strength and almost dropped it on a car one time. I look forward to trying the jin pole idea next time we raise it.

I appreciate the idea of reinforcing the area around the hole. But, if you do break the hole, you can always find two strong idiots to lift it into place for you.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Here's a link to Scott's web page from the C22 owners manual. I don't recommend trying it any other way. I've seen too many people regret it and end up doing major damage. Also, everyone pretty much uses the boom as is shown in the owners manual

http://captainscottsailing.com/Chrysler ... ctions.pdf

Stepping the mast!
http://www.captainscottsailing.com/?l=4

or,..http://www.captainscottsailing.com/php/ ... heMast.php
Ice Cream Pirate

Post by Ice Cream Pirate »

Thank you. I downloaded the manuals as soon as I joined, but these pictures make it that much easier.
monty

Post by monty »

another fix would be to modify the base of the gin pole to straddle the mast. It could be held in place with velcro straps or ratchet straps. This is a very common practice and works well. I use a dedicated gin pole on my 26 but it doesn't get set in place until all lines are in place to support it to prevent stressing the mast foot. I had a near disaster the first time I attempted to raise the mast as I had underestimated it's weight and tendency to go off centre - big difference from my Mac 26 mast that I would raise solo with no gin pole!
Chrysler 26 mast raising small.jpg
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

If your raising it on the trailer, I don't even use the gin pole. I just added a longer steel post to the front of the trailer. I use a roller at that point. I attach a strap just above the gin pole attach point and run a winch cable from that point through the roller to a small electric winch attached just above the manual winch for the boat trailer. If you use a 4" PVC pipe notched to hold up the mast about head height you can just winch the mast up very easy. This also keeps the mast hooked into the support much better. If you want I can post a pick I also have a video. You can also look on my posts.

Dan
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Mast raising system.jpg
It also doubles as the mast support for traveling

Dan
JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA »

C22Bob wrote:Here's a link to Scott's web page from the C22 owners manual. I don't recommend trying it any other way. I've seen too many people regret it and end up doing major damage. Also, everyone pretty much uses the boom as is shown in the owners manual

http://chryslersailors.com/ChryslerDocs ... ctions.pdf

Stepping the mast!
http://chryslersailors.com/ChryslerDocs ... heMast.php
When I follow many of the links within this website I get taken to another webpage for sailing lessons. Something is broken.