C26 - rebedding toe rails

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Erbardy

C26 - rebedding toe rails

Post by Erbardy »

I have a 78 Chrysler 26 that I am partially restoring. I am at the point of rebedding the toe rails. I wanted to confirm that water flows in the gap between the toe rail and the deck and then drains through the holes on the bottom of the toe rail. If that is the case, I will not use any sealant when rebedding aside from some caulking in between the hull and deck.
brigadoon

Re: C26 - rebedding toe rails

Post by brigadoon »

Erbardy
Toe rails are something that has been discussed on this forum in the past . If you haven’t yet searched for it there is a lot of information on it. The toe rails are held on with screws so you will need to bed them. Also, once you pull the toe rail the deck is held on with screws which cause leaks. You might try searching astrorad toe rails. Astrorad completely restored a C22 and made really helpful videos including one on toe rail repair. There are also a number of others.
Good luck Rick SV Brigadoon
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

When you unscrew the toe rail it will straighten out some. You have to work your way along pressing it back into place as you fasten it back down. Putting a sealant directly under the toe rail might get messy. The deck fits on like a shoe box lid and the trick might be getting the sealant up under that edge. You will also need to seal under the fasteners. I just squirted a glob of 4200 in each hole just before running in the screw.

When you have the toe rail off I would be careful about removing the remaining screws holding the lip of the deck. I took these out and resealed them one at a time to make sure the joint did not separate.

Using sort lengths of cord to hang the toe rail from the life line came in handy.

Good luck
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

Has any one found a replacement for the rubber insert ?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

ErBardy,
The insert trim is common for boats and campers. A while back I built a teardrop camper and parts suppliers had several sizes and colors you can also go to amazon pvc trim insert, but they may not have the size you need. Tray camper parts and have the dimensions ready. I don’t think you will have any problem finding what you need.
Rick SV Brigadoon
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »