Keel Cable Replace - On Trailer?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
isuee94

Keel Cable Replace - On Trailer?

Post by isuee94 »

Last fall my keel cable broke. I was able to get back on the trailer, but now I need to replace the cable.

I'm starting to research what I need to do and I understand the parts, but now I have to figure out the procedure.

Has anyone replaced their keel cable on the trailer? I don't know that I'll be able to access the top of the keel where the shackle attaches. I might have to jack up the keel and remove the supports on the trailer that hold the keel...if they aren't welded on. Need to look at that again tonight.

Thanks!
brigadoon

Re: Keel Cable Replace - On Trailer?

Post by brigadoon »

Hi,
Cable replacement is a fairly easy fix. You didn’t say if your boat is a 22 or 26. The easiest way to do the fix on either boat would be to tie the keel up with a line around the hull holding the keel until you drop the boat in the water and the let the keel down slowly. Once the keel is down you can install the new line by diveing on it. You can change it on the trailer if you raise the hull high enough but that sounds like a lot more work to me.
Good luck, Rick Sv brigadoon
isuee94

Post by isuee94 »

Hi Rick,

Mine is a 22. I sail in a local lake that's not exactly clear water. It's going to be a bit tricky for me to dive it and replace the cable in the water. I'll take a look at my trailer again tonight and see how much of a pain it's going to be to lower the keel with it on the trailer.

Thanks!
Jamie
isuee94

Post by isuee94 »

Had another look at my trailer. Looks like I should be able to use a bottle jack to support the keel and then remove a couple of the rollers and then lower the keel enough to access the cable attachment shackle.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

There are some posts on this site where it has been done before , I hope it works out for you.
Rick Sv brigadoon