Big Leak - Vee Berth - Anchor Locker / Hull Deck joint? Toe Rail ?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DTeeSail

Big Leak - Vee Berth - Anchor Locker / Hull Deck joint? Toe Rail ?

Post by DTeeSail »

Hello Chrysler Sailing Community,

I've set up a Facebook Page on SV Máire to help journal the restoration projects. I welcome your insights on this leak in the vee berth.

https://fb.watch/5o-kdJYV-o/

I'm trying to determine if the leak in the Vee Berth is from a prior gap between the anchor locker bulkhead and the overlying deck (it was not previously tabbed in) or if the water was coming from the stanchions, or from the hull-deck joint below the toe rail. The toe rails had been completely caulked in (I think with 3m 5200) along the top inboard line between toe rail and deck. I'm questioning whether this was correctly done, as I've seen recommendations to NOT caulk the toe rail, so that the water flows under it, to where it can exit.

Finding brown water inside the vee-berth, and leaks elsewhere led to removing all hull liner throughout The Máire and removing the interior cover to the anchor locker for further inspection. This showed that the aft bulkhead of the anchor locker was completely rotted out and that a leak was visible during rain, especially near the starboard side aft stanchion of the bow pulpit. The top of the anchor locker bulkhead was not tabbed to the decking. I couldn't determine if the leaking water was mostly from this unattached bulkhead, or the bow pulpit stanchion, or from the shoebox joint and toe rail area beside the stanchion, which appeared to have a pooling area on top. Most of the water would run down inside the hull to the centerline. From there, hopefully all runs back to the bilge (there are no inspection plates installed along the cabin sole). I removed the anchor locker bulkhead and grinded the previously installed tabbing area along the hull. Upon using my $15 harbor freight angle grinder with 36 grit disk, which works great, I found that the hull cleaned up nicely with only a light grind, but grinding the overhead - underside of the deck area revealed a fully rotted plywood core from the bow, all the way to the aft end of the vee berth. The widest portion of this plywood was less than six inches. A pink styrofoam grid core was found to be the core material further midships in the decking, but just the outer edge was cored entirely with plywood (for deck strength-reinforcement I suppose?). All of the rotted - or wet wood has now been grinded away. Only the deckside gelcoat remains now along this area. For restoration, I'm developing a plan: A template for the plywood will be made, then I'm thinking a single piece will be cut in a 1/4 inch sheet and this will be laminated below the gelcoat. I'm still reviewing that entire process. In general, I plan to bond the 1/4" sheet of plywood to the gelcoat with fiberglass between, (using West Systems Epoxy Resin 105 + 206 Hardener), then bond these two together using the deck hardware itself (with backing plates) as part of the strength for setting up the bond. Once cured, I would then wet in wider fiberglass sheets extending from a couple of inches down the hull to a couple of inches beyond the plywood to the adjoining foamcore area.

I welcome insights on this plan.

https://fb.watch/5o-kdJYV-o/
brigadoon

Re: Big Leak - Vee Berth - Anchor Locker / Hull Deck joint? Toe Rail ?

Post by brigadoon »

DTeeSail
I have an early C26 (sloped fore deck) and just moved the hawse pipe and installed an anchor windlass and anchor roller on the bow . It ‘s apparent that the two boats have some major differences in the construction but when I cut the deck for the new hawse pipe location the deck core was 1/2 inch ply with 1/4” glass top and bottom. This was in the area where your anchor hatch is located, the early c26 has no deck hatch or proper anchor locker. The rigging attachment is also signifagantly different so I don’t know if this helps.
Rick Sv brigadoon
DTeeSail

Re: Big Leak - Vee Berth - Anchor Locker / Hull Deck joint? Toe Rail ?

Post by DTeeSail »

Thanks for the reply. Your C26 looks great! Good work. Happy sailing !

Sealing off the anchor locker isn't out of question for me. I wonder if those were prevalent on this year model, or if that was an after thought, added in at some point.

The hardware on the forward bow caused the builders (or someone else along the way) to chip away the top stringer (not sure what the exact name of this joist like upper strip is called) on the hull just so the hardware would fit. That's why I wonder if it was a later modification.