C26 depth gauge replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Attaboy15

C26 depth gauge replacement

Post by Attaboy15 »

Original SR Instruments. Going with HawkEye DT 1B. Thinking a transom mount would be best. Any thoughts on your own experience?
Would plug the large hole with teak wood and cut a 2" hole for new gauge.
Depth Gauge1.jpg
Captain Ron
brigadoon

Re: C26 depth gauge replacement

Post by brigadoon »

If it’s just the lens that is bad it can be restored with polishing compound or even tooth paste. If you are mounting a new transducer several owners have mounted them directly to the inside of the hull on solid fiberglass with success. If you are interested, try searching the forum index for depth finder or transducer and you will likely find the posts.
Rick Sv Brigadoon
Attaboy15

Post by Attaboy15 »

Thanks for the reply. I will try cleaning the lens. The transducer has been mounted in the forward hull center (not a good idea) from previous owner. Depth numbers are not consistent, random at best. If I can somehow release the transducer (heat gun?) I might try a new position shooting through the hull. Wish me luck getting that transducer out.
Attachments
transducer1.jpg
Captain Ron
Attaboy15

Post by Attaboy15 »

Just purchased a replacement transducer from SR Instruments. Nice they are still available
Captain Ron
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Attabo15
Glad you found a replacement, you might try checking your wiring , it looks like it’s been in there awhile, it might be a bad connection or worn insulation. Let us know how it goes.
Rick, Sv Brigadoon