New C-22 Owner! handling question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Sail22

New C-22 Owner! handling question

Post by Sail22 »

Hi All!
I'm very glad to have found this great place to discuss all things Chrysler. I have really enjoyed reading your stories. We are the new proud owners of a 76' C-22. Its still sitting on a trailer. I plan to launch it for the first time this week. Anything I should know/tips?
My biggest curiosity is how is this boat going to handle at docking speed with the internal tiller? and, how the heck do you reach the outboard controls, seems such a stretch (we're coming off a 22' Capri).
any help is appreciated, Thanks !
brigadoon

Re: New C-22 Owner! handling question

Post by brigadoon »

Sail22
Welcome to the forum! I think you will find maneuverability to be excellent at all speeds. The setup on the rudder works very well although you will want to make sure the down and up hauls on the rudder are rigged correctly. The rudder has a positive buoyancy and can be difficult to pull down. I have a c26 with remote throttle and shifting so I can’t really give you any insight on outboard operation on the 22, hopefully someone will jump in to give some guidance. Any pics of the new boat ?
Rick SV Brigadoon
Sail22

Post by Sail22 »

thanks for the info Brigadoon!
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Welcome to the forum. Do a search for 'Extendable Trolling Motor Handle'. I use one on my C22 with Suzuki 6HP outboard when motoring. When motoring in open waters, most prefer to lock the outboard straight and steer with tiller. That doesn't work very well at low speed though when trying to drive up on a mostly submerged trailer. I lock the tiller straight, rudder down half, use the extension handle to steer the outboard and drive her up and on the trailer, then hit the kill switch.