Broken Keel Cable on Mooring

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jsa

Broken Keel Cable on Mooring

Post by jsa »

Hello everyone.

I've got a broken keel cable on my Chrysler 22 and my keel is now stuck in the downward position on its mooring.

How can I lift it?

I'd like to get it lifted and secured enough to get her on her trailer.

It's on a small lake, so hauling it out with a lift isn't an option. This will have to be done either on the ball or in shallow water.

I've thought of either trying to free dive on it to loop some line around the bottom of the keel (this may be ambitious) and use the winches to raise it, or try to to get the boat on a close to 90 heel to access the keel. Do you think it could just be pushed in and secured with a ratchet strap? Or, will I need to try and replace the keel cable?
brigadoon

Re: Broken Keel Cable on Mooring

Post by brigadoon »

Jsa
The easiest way to fix the problem is to change the cable while in the water. Make a new cable and dive on it.Even if you have to find someone with diving gear it will be a lot easier than jacking it up on land. You can loop a rope under the hull to both winches and raise it that way. Search the posts for cable or pendant replacement there are several that talk about how to remedy your situation.
Good luck!
Rick SV Brigadoon
jsa

Re: Broken Keel Cable on Mooring

Post by jsa »

Thanks, Rick.

I was able to get the keel up in the water with a combination of come-along straps attached to a line around the keel and attaching a strong rope to the keel by going down the tube and attaching that to the winch. Once the keel was past vertical I was able to winch her on up and safety secure it with a strap around the hull. I think this will hold until I can get her pulled off the mooring.

For what it's worth, she will be for sale soon in Eastern NC if anyone knows someone looking for one. I'm just not using her as much anymore and it's time for her to have a new owner I believe.