Performance

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Hammer1991

Performance

Post by Hammer1991 »

Hey folks

I've owned my boat for just over a year and have had a full sailing season and about a half. There's no clubs where I sail but I may join a nearby one and trailer there for weekends. This year I spent time trying to track the performance of the boat to see what it can do. I generally ran my genoa and main and got a top speed for the season of right around 6 knots (garmin gps). That being said the most wind I had while sailing this year was about 10-12 knots with gusts a bit higher. Overall I'm not unhappy with that but I was wondering what people's take on these boats is regarding its performance. I had heard from the past owner that it could keep up with the McGregors in his club, even outpace them, and I hope that's true as I am not a fan of them that much.

I had it right heeled over for a while one day and felt like I was flying as I was close hauled, but really I was only going about 4.5 knots, I've noticed that heeling on this boat doesn't decrease drag and increase speed at all, it's almost better to luff out a little than heel it heavily.

I also have a spinnaker but I hate hoisting it. Any time I take people out they want to see it but the truth is it's my least favorite sail. I do want to catch my speed with it one day.

I know one thing I need to make sure to do is tighten the backstay more to get better tension for the foresail, but the two anchor points are pulling out of the transom wall and I need to reinforce that this winter.

Would love to hear your fine tuning stories and ways you've gotten more out of your boat! Anyone ever add a retractable bowsprit and run the genoa and jib at the same time? Seems like a pain but maybe it's worthwhile...
Hammer1991

Re: Performance

Post by Hammer1991 »

Chrysler 22, just in case anyone is wondering